Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23568

Reading Simons suberb guide to tyres prompted me to check mine, Pirelli P6000 on all 4 corners, all in decent condition as well.

In my garage I have 4 x VVC 5 spokes that were going to be refurbished and put on my T16 maestro, I also have 4 Toyo T1R 195/50/15 tyres for the same destination.

Now the dilema, should I be sticking the Toyos on the wheels on the F even though I have a plan for them, or buying some 205's for the rear or wear out the P6000's and replace them some when down the road.

How bad are 195's on the back?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23569

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
I can't take the credit for that, its David's Guide, i just borrowed it for some site testing. :whistle:

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23575

If you are happy with the Pirellis leave them on.
No sense making more work for yourself.

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23576

If you are happy with the Pirellis leave them on.
No sense making more work for yourself.

I would echo that really. If you're happy with the Pirellis.:yesnod:

The bad reviews of the Pirellis are subjective (as are all the views in the guide).
Often people blame the tyres when it's really setup and/or driving ability that is the real problem!
David
:shrug:

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23578

I did 3000 miles with them last year and wasn't unhappy with them so I think they'll stay for a while then.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23579

......Often people blame the tyres when it's really setup and/or driving ability that is the real problem!

absolutely spot on David. Its one of the reasons I don't post in any tyre thread on .org any more, its been known to create friction if you try and tell some one its their driving ability/setup/both with a mid engined rwd car that put them off a roundabout after it had been raining, if I had a £1 for every thread I've seen that started with...."I was only doing 10mph......", I'd have several £'s by now :lol:
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Last edit: Post by petevick.

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23580

......Often people blame the tyres when it's really setup and/or driving ability that is the real problem!

absolutely spot on David. Its one of the reasons I don't post in any tyre thread on .org any more, its been known to create friction if you try and tell some one its their driving ability/setup/both with a mid engined rwd car that put them off a roundabout after it had been raining, if I had a £1 for every thread I've seen that started with...."I was only doing 10mph......", I'd have several £'s by now :lol:

Yeah, you said it Pete.:lol:

I dare not mention over there that we ran all winter with 185/55/15 continental winter tyres on the back, and 175/55/15 Semperit winter tyres on the front.(Only winter tyres I could get).

The car was perfectly fine, only swapped back to the 16s in late March.
David
:shrug:

Re: Tyre dilema 13 years 4 days ago #23583

I would think that for the 99% of us who don't do track days or regularity runs through the alps tire choice isn't so critical.

BUT...Like they say...Only my 2 cents....Your Results May Vary!:woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT