Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 2 weeks ago #23043

What do you think about these car's handling? my accident was caused due to me losing the car at a relatively low speed, the other TF at the body shop is same problem he lost the car, many ppl say these cars are too light and have rubbish handling other people told me they have good handling but I'm not impressed to be honest although I blame largely the poor quality tarmac over here.
FM :rolleyes:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 2 weeks ago #23045

Bad handling is usually due to wrong tyres or tracking... having a spare wheel in the front also helps with front lift problems.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 2 weeks ago #23051

I've driven a lot of cars over the years and I have to say that the F is one of the best handling.

BUT, there are so many ways for the handling to be affected by alignment, worn bushes, dodgy hydragas,(or on the TF dodgy shockers/springs) and mismatched tyres with the wrong pressure that it is possible to end up with a car that handles like a pig on roller skates.

The trouble is often people haven't experienced a well setup car's handling.:shrug:

On the last service day I test drove three other Fs - two were fine, one was appalling.
David
:shrug:

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 2 weeks ago #23055

it works for me .... and thats with the dreaded contis on!
Can't wait to see what its like with decent tyres.

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 1 week ago #23079

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I have to go with David on this.

A correctly setup car, with good tyres on a dry day handles absolutely brilliantly, fast cornering, sudden changes of direction....not a problem.

However, start factoring in worn trackrod ends, wheel bearings, bald or mismatched tyres, low tyre pressure, incorrectly set up tracking and you can have anything from a vague handling car to a hedge seeking missile.

Mine has felt a little light and wandery lately and it feels like the tyres are on ice, but on checking it I found that both steering rod ends had play in them. Even me, who always says it isn't normally the tyres (When using Toyos) started to doubt the tyres. It's just how it feels.

Things can happen to unsettle the car though, such s potholes, ice, oil etc and once the rear end goes it isn't the easiest to get back.

I have spun off the road at around 30mph, but the road was very slippery.

It is a rear wheel drive car, so it will catch out many who are used to the characteristics of a more common front wheel drive vehicle.

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 1 week ago #23083

That's a good point Clive!
Unlike when we old codgers were young (OK, I'll speak for myself!) an awful lot of people
aren't familiar with the way a RWD car handles.
Myself, I am happy not to have to deal with torque steer!:side:

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 1 week ago #23084

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Yep, I'm quite an old fashiond person really.

Rear wheels for drive, front wheels for steering. ;)

Απ: Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 1 week ago #23130

I agree, good setup, good tyres correct alignment are very important.
Otherwise you will have big problems...
Dont leave your cars with worn tires, i know people here in Greece which has destroyed completely their cars
with stupid games and very old tires.
I drove 2 mgf's with old tyres and they were absolute dangerous.

Mine is like a train really and handling is perfect too. :)

Re: Απ: Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 1 week ago #23133

I agree, good setup, good tyres correct alignment are very important.
Otherwise you will have big problems...
Dont leave your cars with worn tires, i know people here in Greece which has destroyed completely their cars
with stupid games and very old tires.
I drove 2 mgf's with old tyres and they were absolute dangerous.

Mine is like a train really and handling is perfect too. :)

You're right Alex.;yesnod:
Other cars, you may get away with poor tyres and little maintenance. Try it with one of these and you'll regret it!
David

Re: Απ: Re: Fs and Tfs handling 13 years 1 week ago #23225

yes seems very true that if you don't keep suspension well maintained these will lose it
FM :rolleyes:

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 12 years 5 months ago #31308

nice point. I have a question----I recently put a TF steering rack on my '98 F so should I have the tracking done for an F or a TF?

Re: Fs and Tfs handling 12 years 5 months ago #31315

nice point. I have a question----I recently put a TF steering rack on my '98 F so should I have the tracking done for an F or a TF?

It should still be setup for an F. Suspension is still an F. I believe my car, 51 mk2 F has the quicker rack anyway and is set up same as any other F. :yesnod: :thumbsup:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT