Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22675

Hi all.. weird one here.

Meg's oil temp transducer got its connector broken (plastic bit came loose and so connector doesn't well - connect now!) and so the oil temp gauge stopped working. So I managed to get one from eBay but it doesn't fit! GRRR

The one on the car is YCB100350 and the new one is YCB100290. Amazingly the thread on the old one is bigger (or courser) than the new one so it doesn't fit!

I spoke to Rimmer Bros who have drawn a blank as the workshop manual shows the transducer as having two wires coming from it - yet the one I have has only one (as does the new one!)..... and they tried the YCB100290 in a new oil filter housing and sure enough it doesn't fit... HHHEEEELLLLLLPPPP :S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22676

Hi all.. weird one here.

Meg's oil temp transducer got its connector broken (plastic bit came loose and so connector doesn't well - connect now!) and so the oil temp gauge stopped working. So I managed to get one from eBay but it doesn't fit! GRRR

The one on the car is YCB100350 and the new one is YCB100290. Amazingly the thread on the old one is bigger (or courser) than the new one so it doesn't fit!

I spoke to Rimmer Bros who have drawn a blank as the workshop manual shows the transducer as having two wires coming from it - yet the one I have has only one (as does the new one!)..... and they tried the YCB100290 in a new oil filter housing and sure enough it doesn't fit... HHHEEEELLLLLLPPPP :S

YCB100290 - Transducer oil temperature - 170 degrees C up to VIN 18K4J89636256
18K4J90618894
YCB100350 - Transducer oil temperature From VIN 18K4J89636257
18K4J90618895
According to Dieter.
David
:shrug:

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22678

Just had this form Gary at Rimmer Bros:

Hello again!

We've done some more digging and contacted XPart on this switch/housing problem which whilst not really going to be of much help does probably provide an answer as to why the switch will not fit.

Very early 1800 MGF's (up to certain engine numbers as shown on the screen print below) did have a different oil filter housing fitted which was part number LPX100360 and the switch YCB100290 was used up to the same engine numbers. At some point MG made this housing obsolete but said to use the following four items as a replacement. It does list YCB100350 for the temp sender that was then needed so we can only assume that had a different thread on to YCB100290. YCB100350 though is no longer available and hasn't been for a long time so we do not know where you would be able to source one from I'm afraid.

Sorry we still cannot help provide the part but at least we have learnt something today

Regards
Gary

So where on earth do i get the bits? Guessing i just need to find a scrappie with a housing + sender intact!

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22679

Looks like it's going to have to be a scavenged one.

The weird thing is that if the ...290 doesn't fit in your housing nor does it fit a new housing. Were there three housings?

And Dieter thinks the ..290 is the older sensor, ..350 the newer one.:shrug:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22680

quick question, are you vvc or mpi? because they have different oil temp sensors.
David

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22681

MPi... i was wondering as well if it doesn't fit either housing what on earth was it for!

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22683

MPi... i was wondering as well if it doesn't fit either housing what on earth was it for!

There are three different oil filter housings.

LPX100360 - Head assembly-engine oil filter
superceeded since later engines

LPX100540 - Head assembly-engine oil filter
Except: VVC

LPX000160 - Head assembly-engine oil filter
VVC - from YD 511059 on VVC YD511059
David

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22685

Think Meg has LPX100360 as that was the one that YCB100350 (the broken sender she has on at the mo) fits.... grrr

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22686

Rimmers currently has LPX100540 on sale for 14.95 gbp
If it's a direct replacement for the LPX head that may be one way out.

Rich

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22688

Rich

Hi Rich, That's what prompted me to start looking again at the replacement sender - just raised this can of worms. Rimmers didn't even know till yesterday there were two types of housing.... i feel a new sender coming on if I buy that housing - or maybe as David said just go to a scrappie and get all of it in one.

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22689

Rich

Hi Rich, That's what prompted me to start looking again at the replacement sender - just raised this can of worms. Rimmers didn't even know till yesterday there were two types of housing.... i feel a new sender coming on if I buy that housing - or maybe as David said just go to a scrappie and get all of it in one.

Get Rimmers to find the housing that fits the new sensor you already have.:yesnod:
David

Re: Oil temp transducer issue 13 years 1 month ago #22690

Get Rimmers to find the housing that fits the new sensor you already have.:yesnod:

Tried that - they think nothing fits the YCB100290 !! Christ knows what it was made for then.....

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT