Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

uprated head gasket 13 years 4 weeks ago #22621

Anyone willing to advise about the new multilayer headgasket with the uprated bottom rail. I have just put it in to my 2000 F.
not sure if it has been a proven success as yet.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 4 weeks ago #22622

The incidence of failure is certainly less than the original.
The only problems I know of are where there are unsolved underlying problems with the engine re liner heights, head warped, unsolved coolant loss etc.

I had the uprated gasket fitted 50,000 miles ago, and it's still fine(touch wood).

I would say that the best thing I ever did was fit a low coolant alarm!:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22623

I concur with David - Meg had an MLR gasket fitted almost 20K ago and she's going well still. Whereas she had already been through 2 original gaskets in her short life!

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22638

The only problems I know of are where there are unsolved underlying problems with the engine re liner heights, head warped, unsolved coolant loss etc.

I had the uprated gasket fitted 50,000 miles ago, and it's still fine(touch wood).

Correctly fitted, without any underlying problems, by someone like Russell and its bullet proof. The low coolant alarm is a must, as important as a new headgasket. i also advise that the stretch bolts should be replaced also, considering the cost is now around £30 for a set. I would also reccomend the uprated water pump too from moto-build, its worth the extra £30 :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: toby2fly

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22639

Anyone willing to advise about the new multilayer headgasket with the uprated bottom rail. I have just put it in to my 2000 F.
not sure if it has been a proven success as yet.

See the posts from David, Adam & myself. there have been very few failures reported since this gasket has been used, providing it has been fitted correctly and the problems (if any) with warped head, liner height, unknown coolant loss have been resolved. One of our club members (Epsom MGOC) has a 2002 TF that was fitted with the first Multi layer gasket, that Ford had developed for the Landrover Freelander, this was a prototype and was fitted by the MG Owners Club , seven years on it is still fine, how is that for "proven sucess" :woohoo:

The TF in question:

The following user(s) said Thank You: toby2fly

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22642

Where might I purchase such a device?

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22643

Brown and Gammons sell them , I think. And Rimmer Bros, possibly.

I made my own .
David

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22647

Just today I received an order from Rimmers which included an uprated oil rail. This should also be changed when fitting the upgraded head gasket. Rimmers currently has the oil rails on sale for 24.95gbp which is a great saving.

I've got to brag about Rimmers' service. I placed my order online last Thursday after business hours and it arrived today (Monday at 3:00 PM), and that's half way around the world. It wasn't a simple little order either. As well as the oil rail it included a set of stainless cooling pipes and about 20 different types of fasteners for my suspension. Each size fastener came in a bar coded bag, and everything was very well packed for the journey. Fantastic service!

Cheers,
Rich

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22651

:thumbsup: I must admit I've always had good service from Rimmer Bros.:thumbsup:

I know some firms won't offer any guarantee on the uprated gasket without also fitting the oil rail.

When I had my HGF fixed by Russell, I asked about the oil rail but he reckons it's not really needed on our cars. So I went with his advice. 50,000 miles and still going strong!
He only fits it when fixing Freelanders.
David

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22662

The oil rail really helps with the stiffening of the block, a must if modifying further but on a standard mpi not really an issue.

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 3 weeks ago #22672

Where might I purchase such a device?

Brown & Gammons one is the best (apart from Davids home made jobby) it is a re-engineered copy of the one fitted to all TFs in 2005 onwards. The cost is £89.50 including VAT plus postage. This is also the one that Russell is fitting. There is a much cheaper one called LO-LARM, www.lolarm.co.uk the cost of the latest version is £62 (the earlier version had a lot of problems) ~ Sorry Mr CAPY but i would opt for the B&G one .

The third option is to match the DIY one that David made, it works well and was a fraction of the cost.

BTW the MGOC also sell the OEM design kit as B&G for £92.00

Hope this helps :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: uprated head gasket 13 years 2 weeks ago #22799

David,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the low level coolant warning which worked and let me know about the head gasket failure. Did you replace the bottom oil rail with the upgraded one? it appears there is more thread for the bolts to thread into giving more stability to the head and prevent future failure

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT