Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22362

Not a very promising start today.The gearbox is back in place but i am having trouble lining it all up.
All the holes are in line but when i tighten the bolts up it doesn't seem to be slotting together properly.
I'm affraid i might have to take it back out and see whats in the way,might just be splines not in line.
I'm gonna try again tomorrow.........
Any ideas very very welcome

I am not an expert, but it dosent sound right, i think the box should slip home and tight without the need for the bolts pulling it together. DONT FORCE IT ~ Suggest a PM to Chris (Quicksilver) about it may help :shrug: It could well be the splined shaft not going home properley. good luck :sick: :silly:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22392

Gearbox needs to be mated to the engine perfectly level and with the splines aligned or it will not go. If you are doing the refit solo I suggest you get some help to align it before you try mating it up. The sealing faces should meet just by hand pressure alone.
Chris

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22459

Sorry everyone,Suffering from man flu,I will be back in the garage asap...........

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22492

Sorry everyone,Suffering from man flu,I will be back in the garage asap...........

Please dont apologise, that is an acceptable excuse!!! i have been suffering with the same thing now for three weeks, it wont bloody go away :evil: get rid of it before going back in the garage :P

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23098

Right that's the man flu beaten,then the Mrs got it,then school hols,work etc. Now I fully intend to finish the car off tomorrow fingers crossed.Sorry for the massive gap between posts.
With a little luck my next post will be a nice summary of the gearbox swop,and a pic of the car once dragged or driven out of the garage.
I hope you are all enjoying the sunshine with lots of topless days out,and have managed to avoid the flu,kids,work etc which have been holding me up.........................

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23151

Guess What.......................still not finished...:blink:
Had a fair run at it today though.The gearbox slotted home smoothly in the end,I had to do it solo,(not enough room in the garage for two)...Subframe is back where it belongs..The oil is in ....the exhaust on....all hoses,pipes electrics connected...boot lid back on....drive shafts in hubs bolted up and wheels back on at last.
Still need to fill and bleed the cooling system,bleed brakes and put the engine lid on ,and give it a damn good clean (how did it get so filthy in the garage?)
it wasn't a completely trouble free day though,when I removed the boot lid I cut the wires as there was no connector.I just figured I'd solder and tape them back up no prob.When I came to join them today expecting them to be different colours, I found there were three black ones ,lesson learned .I guess there could be some trial and error coming up.

I do have one more question , does anyone know if the gearbox oil cooler needs bleeding and if it does how do i do it please, thank you.

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23152

Guess What.......................still not finished...:blink:
Had a fair run at it today though.The gearbox slotted home smoothly in the end,I had to do it solo,(not enough room in the garage for two)...Subframe is back where it belongs..The oil is in ....the exhaust on....all hoses,pipes electrics connected...boot lid back on....drive shafts in hubs bolted up and wheels back on at last.
Still need to fill and bleed the cooling system,bleed brakes and put the engine lid on ,and give it a damn good clean (how did it get so filthy in the garage?)
it wasn't a completely trouble free day though,when I removed the boot lid I cut the wires as there was no connector.I just figured I'd solder and tape them back up no prob.When I came to join them today expecting them to be different colours, I found there were three black ones ,lesson learned .I guess there could be some trial and error coming up.

I do have one more question , does anyone know if the gearbox oil cooler needs bleeding and if it does how do i do it please, thank you.

All the black wires should be earths, so that should make things easier.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23158

Thanks David,I was hoping it wouldn't matter....I shall sleep easy now.........coupled with the fact I'm knackered .
Cheers ............................

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23239

Finished...... phew.
Polished and all.
Certainly not a diy job unless you have plenty of time on your hands.
I would recomend you read the excellent ' how to' before you attempt it.
I managed to do the whole job solo with limited tools available.
Also I didn't remove the engine/gearbox and subframe from under the car,just lowered them and dragged the gearbox out sideways (I wouldn't advise it ,it was bloody awkward).The main advantage being I didn't have to disconect the hydro suspension.

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23240

Sorry I clicked submit before I ment to...
I need to say a big thank you to everyone who helped esp David,Bryan and Chris what a team you guys are,without you I would of struggled big time.
So as an amendment to my prev post I didn't do the gearbox completly solo,I had a whole lot of help from you gentlemen.
Many thanks again ................Andy

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23244

Good news, woohoo!:thumbsup:
David
:shrug:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 3 weeks ago #23247

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.