Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21981

It's almost out,looks more steptoe than steptronic in my garage,i've got to wait until Tuesday for the new gearbox though,and then to find somewhere that sells the step gearbox oil :( .................

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22090

It's almost out,looks more steptoe than steptronic in my garage,i've got to wait until Tuesday for the new gearbox though,and then to find somewhere that sells the step gearbox oil :( .................

If you have a local BMW dealer, you will get it there cos its used in the Mini auto box. its not cheap either about £15.00 per litre and i beleive you need five. Do not use anything else than the correct Esso one or you will ruin your new gearbox. please keep us posted :whistle: :whistle:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22106

I shall contact the bmw dealer thanks for the info on that.Gearbox is out,broke one subframe bolt and a few exhaust hanger bolts sheared.Over all not going to bad.I have left the hydro suspension connected and pulled the box out sideways,It was like a chinese puzzle but very satisfying.
Attachments:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22107

[attachment:2]C:\fakepath\Ebay 030.JPG[/attachment]

C:\fakepath\Ebay 036.JPG

[attachment:3]C:\fakepath\Ebay 028.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:4]C:\fakepath\Ebay 031.JPG[/attachment]

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22108

up she goes
Attachments:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22109

capping off the fuel lines......
Attachments:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22110

I think the re- fit is going to happen at the weekend,work permitting.I think i've figured out how to upload the pics,sorry if they are a bit random.I would of done a bit of a how to to go with the pics but I don't really have a clue what I'm doing lol.There is a very good how to in the how to section which I would recomend reading if you are going to attempt this.
I have used a bottle jack ,two scissor jacks,one trolley jack,two axle stands and lots of wood,a basic socket set and spanners.
A little bad language was also required and recomended at times......
On completion,A good muscle soak bubble bath ,compulsary

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22113

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

[attachment:2]C:\fakepath\Ebay 030.JPG[/attachment]

C:\fakepath\Ebay 036.JPG

[attachment:3]C:\fakepath\Ebay 028.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:4]C:\fakepath\Ebay 031.JPG[/attachment]

What happened here Andy?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22125

I shall contact the bmw dealer thanks for the info on that.Gearbox is out,broke one subframe bolt and a few exhaust hanger bolts sheared.Over all not going to bad.I have left the hydro suspension connected and pulled the box out sideways,It was like a chinese puzzle but very satisfying.

Great that you got it out, looked a bit of a tight fit in the garage!!!!!!

Just had a thought about the new gearbox, fluid refill ~ if the new box is "DRY" because it has been reconditioned you will neen an additional litre of fluid. The workshop manual states 4.5 litres for a drain and refill leaving an additional litre in the lines and oil cooler. The reccomended fluid is Esso EZL799 or Unipart CVT ONLY

Put loads of plusgas on that sheared subframe bolt before drilling it for the stud extractor, you may have to open it up larger and larger to get it free. I would also reccomend that you run a tap intoall the subframe mounting threads and use all new bolts.

I think you are doing extremely well, especally as you consider yourself a rubbish mechanic :whistle:

Keep us up to date with the rebuild please :silly:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22138

Thanks Brian,I'm picking up the oil tomorrow,I will make sure i get some extra.The gearbox is a used low milage unit.(aka fingers crossed)
Your dead right about the garage being a squeeze,I often dream of a double garage but would prob move into it.:blink:
I have the taps ,drills and new bolts all ready,I need to do some which broke on the exhaust mounts too.
I have the gearbox on an old skateboard so i can move it about easily,when I'm finished I shall open it up for a full autopsy.
Thanks for all the encouragement,it's much appreciated..:)

David; I have no idea what happened sorry,I was multi tasking...... badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22182

Hi Guys ,I came accross this,Equivalent to Esso EZL799 here does anyone know if it's any good... http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XPT002002OF
Thanks Andy

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #22183

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

Hi Guys ,I came accross this,Equivalent to Esso EZL799 here does anyone know if it's any good... http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XPT002002OF
Thanks Andy

My initial response would be that if Rimmer Bros are selling it as genuine MGR, then it'll be fine.
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT