Sign In   Register

Topic

steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21868

Hello everyone,I have come over from a mg midget to a mgf steptronic.I hear you're a very friendly and clever bunch.
Just as I was starting to enjoy the mgf it decided to have a bang and a clonk,oil everwhere and I am left with a holed steptronic gearbox.the hole is in the diff caseing.Anyway what I need help with is the gearbox removal procedure,has anyone been brave enough to DIY it.I can't afford to let the garage do it so am having a go.Gonna source a second hand gearbox.
Thanks in advance Andy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21872

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh thats what you did to it lol :ohmy:
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21874

Ow dear ...... I just answered you, lol ....you're one step ahead of me.......there again my step is in pieces...

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21875

Lol my fault, I should have checked what else you had posted first.. Ouch that does sound rather painful..

David and CJJ are the guys who will be able to give you the best advice (I think) ..
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21909

Exhaust is all off,wheel hubs and drive shafts out,gonna drop the subframe tomorrow and remove the broken gearbox.
Will take some pics too.......best tidy the garage first lol

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21910

Exhaust is all off,wheel hubs and drive shafts out,gonna drop the subframe tomorrow and remove the broken gearbox.
Will take some pics too.......best tidy the garage first lol

I hope you've got some penetrating oil on the subframe bolts.:lol:
David
:shrug:

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21912

Yep have left them to soak.......That was my excuse to call it a night........

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21915

If you have a lift its not to bad a job,

If you haven't its a real pain, you need the from of the car in the air on ramp at least, if you don't when you lift the back up the front will hit the floor before its high enough to get the sub frame out

Once its out its an easy enough job to swap the box over,

Things to watch out for if its an F is you'll need to get the hyrogas fluid out and have a pump to get it back up
Other than that be prepared for every thing to be stuck an everything needs disconnecting
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21918

Thanks Jon,I don't have a lift,but wasn't planning on removing the engine completely.I just want the subframe low enough so I can remove the gearbox.As for the hydrogas (it is an f) I thought it was all joined to the sub frame so i could just drop the lot,there's another job to look forward to then lol.Thanks for your help,and everyone elses,looks like I'm gonna need it (and a whole lotta luck )

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21919

I replace my engine an gearbox on the street....lol I'm never doing that again :)
Had the front wheels balanced on building blocks stood on their edge and and engine crane just tied to the back with a strap...lol

Watch out for all your electric sockets i.e. ECU and the relays behind it, one of mine just had a dodgey connection when put back together, everything still worked all dash lights the lot, but it just wouldn't start, one extra push of a socket an it fired first time
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21921

I'm doing it a small garage,it's a bit of a squeeze.,i didn't trust the weather to do it outside
.All disconected and drained,hope to get the subframe lowered this eve if i get time.
I will keep an eye on those connections if I ever get it back together lol.....
Thanks again for your help .

Re: steptronic gearbox removal ? 13 years 1 month ago #21927

I'm doing it a small garage,it's a bit of a squeeze.,i didn't trust the weather to do it outside
.All disconected and drained,hope to get the subframe lowered this eve if i get time.
I will keep an eye on those connections if I ever get it back together lol.....
Thanks again for your help .

Good luck and be careful :pinch: Check, check and check again that everything is disconnected before dropping the subframe. please keep us informed of progress, some pics would be good if possible :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT