Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21223

Car has been sat around for some time, tried removing rear wheel but no joy. Have removed four wheel nuts any sugestions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21225

Car has been sat around for some time, tried removing rear wheel but no joy. Have removed four wheel nuts any sugestions

Put axle stands under the car, do not work using the jack alone!! The alloy wheels fuse/weld themselves onto the hub, try spraying the hub wheel/hub joint with plus gas and hitting the inside of the tyre/wheel with a length of 4" x 2" timber. Put some copper grease on the mating faces when putting them back on again!
i dont want to dis-hearten youbut i know someone who took three days to remove the front wheels on an Alfa Sud!!:evil:

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21226

what is plus gas

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21227

PLUS GAS is a dismantling spray used by the professionals (it is better than WD40) can get it in most car acesssory shops or from Frosts www.frost.co.uk cat no. N220 £5.50 for 200ml ~ they also do their own Free & Easy £4.00 for 500ml. but i prefer Plus Gas. Hope this helps.

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21228

If the car is securely raised, i lie on my back on the ground with my feet towards the wheel, legs bent. Then kick/stamp at one side of the wheel/tyre with one foot and then the otherside with the other foot.

Repeat alternating kicks until the wheel comes loose.
David
:shrug:

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21229

Thank you will give both a try

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21230

Once its secure, plus I normally stick an old wheel under the sill just encase

I'm one for the kick the hell out of it :) rotate it a bit at the same time, boot the tyre not the wheel, takes longer but does no damage
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21231

It's quite good to relieve stress as well.:rofl:
David

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21234

If the car is securely raised, i lie on my back on the ground with my feet towards the wheel, legs bent. Then kick/stamp at one side of the wheel/tyre with one foot and then the otherside with the other foot.

David, That paints quite a picture!
Any chance of a video tutorial?:woohoo:

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21236

David, That paints quite a picture!
Any chance of a video tutorial?:woohoo:

Don't fancy the video - when i first read it i thought he was giving birth! :lol:

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21237

I just knew i'd regret that post.:rofl:
David

Re: Rear Wheels 13 years 3 months ago #21238

I had the same issue on 3 wheels ! After having tried all the known methods (that are quite dangerous) I developed my own effctive method.
You need a little hydraulic jig (probably the car mech jig should work as well), a wood or steel bar and a belt.
Once removed the 4 nuts :P refit one nut and screw it in 2-3 turns.
Put the jig stem on the nut (to prevent to damage the thread), the bar and the belt (see picture).... pump.
If you are able to remove the central wheel badge it would be better, you will apply the force in the center,

As soon as you feel the wheel coming loose stop to pump, otherwise you risk to get jammed the wheel on the hub.
Once removed the wheels, clean the rusted surfaces and apply some FEW copper grease on the mating surface
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, David Aiketgate, bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT