Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19728

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
37,000 miles.

Checking the car over today, I found a scum on top of the coolant in the expansion tank - almost like cream. The coolant underneath this scum is orange and very clear.
The engine oil is still very clear and clean(changed about 6 months ago).

I hope this isnt the start of the dreaded Head Gasket Failure.

Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19729

Do you know if it has head a gasket change yet?
if so it could just be remnants from that.
Any other symptoms?

I wouldn't panic yet, just keep an eye on it.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19732

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
No, not had a new head gasket..Ive owned it from new(2003)

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19741

thats very cool, wish i had owned bucephalus from new

i'd say fit a low coolant alarm if you havent allready done so and keep an eye on it

new cap may not go amiss or clean up the old one
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19744

Fingers crossed it's not HGF mayo - another possibility is that you have topped up with the wrong antifreeze recently? OAT and Ethylene Glycol are usually 'pink/orange' and 'green/blue' respectively - BUT sometimes they can come in the opposite colour apparently, and if accidentally mixed they cause a sludge to form.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19757

There is a kit available, from Frost I think, that will detect the by-products of combustion in the coolant and give you an indication if the head gasket is on it's way out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19759

There is a kit available, from Frost I think, that will detect the by-products of combustion in the coolant and give you an indication if the head gasket is on it's way out.

That's right. Usually called a 'sniff test'.

I think most garages would be able to do this for you. That's how I confirmed my HGF, but I was getting symptoms of the expansion tank filling up with coolant when the engine was up to temperature, so I was pretty sure I was getting gases into the coolant anyway.
David
:shrug:

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19760

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

thats very cool, wish i had owned bucephalus from new

i'd say fit a low coolant alarm if you havent allready done so and keep an eye on it

new cap may not go amiss or clean up the old one

Adam, Ive alredy fitted a low coolant alarm a couple of years ago, and dont take my eyes off the temp gauge.

New cap might be a good idea.
Cheers.

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19761

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Fingers crossed it's not HGF mayo - another possibility is that you have topped up with the wrong antifreeze recently? OAT and Ethylene Glycol are usually 'pink/orange' and 'green/blue' respectively - BUT sometimes they can come in the opposite colour apparently, and if accidentally mixed they cause a sludge to form.

The coolant was replaced about two years ago(and Ive not had to top it up in that time), same time as I did the big service(cam belt, adjuster, water pump) and fitted stainless steel coolant pipes.
Last night I removed some of this scum and the coolant looked sparkling and clear(orange)

Every thing is working as it should:- temperatures steady and heater working perfectly.

Its had no long runs recently, only travelling to work(10 miles) most days.

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19767

David A does not agree with this, he did a test mixing the two types together and nothing happened to form sludge, mind you it may need to be heated an mixed with a bit of oil and combustion gasses :whistle:

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19773

i read also that in realy cold weather you get this in your coolant tank i will try and look it up again and post the link it shouldnt be anythink to worry about
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: MG TF Coolant..!!?? 13 years 4 months ago #19778

David A does not agree with this, he did a test mixing the two types together and nothing happened to form sludge, mind you it may need to be heated an mixed with a bit of oil and combustion gasses :whistle:

Ooh maybe where I googled it from was talking total twaddle then!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT