Sign In   Register

Topic

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15719

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Which version of Mems are you running? If you have Mems 3 (no distributor, coil packs on top of the engine) a remap on a rolling road could sort it out. If you are running one of the earlier ECUs it would probably mean looking into changing the ECU. Its basically a fuelling / ignition mapping problem.
Chris

i have exactly this problem too, even a remap on the MEMS3 unit cant bring the sub 2000rpm over fueling into a reasonable level... hence i have got an Emerald ECU on its way to me as i wont pass another MOT without this being corrected.

Oz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15746

Now these are noises I like to hear (nearly as much as my Daytona Exhaust). :yesnod: I had never heard of this Emerald thing, but since reading this, I obviously went on their website to get some more information. Now I'm completely confused..:confused: But I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this. I need a lot more information, and have emailed them for more help, and wait with anticipation for their reply. I'm pretty sure my "F" is MEMS2, but can't check just now because the car is being MOT'd (Mmmm), and is struggling with the emissions (more Mmmm's), so I'm hoping that the K3 will work its magic on the old MEMS2 as well. Lot of money, but I think I have a lot of car, and it IS worth it. (Unfortunately good lady/Santa not so excited about it though :frown:).

Thanks for the input

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15770

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Emerald is the accepted top step for all the K-Series elise's that run between 170 and 240 bhp naturally aspirated...
Alot of the K-Series Elise trophy cars run Emerald ECUs, the other thing to look at maybe is the Track-Days ECU, but that has more data logging and is way more expensive!

Glad i could be of help :)

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15772

Will be watching this spot to read how you get on when your one arrives. Still hoping my F can scrape through the test, then have about a year to put one in. But will obviously be keen to read about others' experiences with the installation. Thanks again

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15784

I think you have done an excellent job and a great article. I also have a flowed and ported head using but the only part by Dave Andrews are his dowels to adjust the timming on the cams and a Piper fast road cam. I went to his place a couple of years ago and picked his brain and saw his work, if I lived in the UK my engine would be at his place. I could not afford to do so much to my engine so I had the standard exhaust manifold de seamed internaly as far as the dremal would go down, it resulted in a deaper sound! All this is fed by a 52mmTB, a Tiapan cold air induction kit and exiting via a Miltek SS exhaust. I fitted a FPR which on the rolling road was set at 3.8bar again due to lack of funds and as my F is a 97 VVC I have the earlist MEMS so not programable, I would love to have an Emerald or our equivelent a Wolf plus a 4-2-1, then have individual TB's, solid lifters and adjustable cams. This will have to go on the back burner as you can read in one of the other threads under the heading, Ops i've done it again, i'm having to rebuild part of the engine.

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15791

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yep, Dave Andrews is widely regarded in the lotus community as the best when it comes to K-Series...
Really lovely chap, who always has time for his customers. Will keep you all posted about the Emerald install, should be at worst a call to emerald for a £15 loom adapter, at best it will just plug and go :) Dave Andrews sent me a map for a ported and polished head, with Piper 633's and 52mm TB, so should be pretty close mapping wise straight out the box :)

Oz.

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15803

Just thoughty I'dlet all you luvly people know that my little red baby passed the emissions test, and hence the MOT. The mechanic did have to change the sports CAT for a standard one, and replaced the Lambda sensor, and the results (according to the print outs) were quite astonishing. Will be waiting a couple of months and then having the emissions tested again to see what happens. Car still sounds beautiful, and seems to be going as quick, but I've been driving my van for a few weeks, so ANY MG would sound and feel good :)

Have enjoyed participating in this thread, but willbe keeping an eye on any additions. Thanks to all

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15804

Just thoughty I'dlet all you luvly people know that my little red baby passed the emissions test, and hence the MOT. The mechanic did have to change the sports CAT for a standard one, and replaced the Lambda sensor, and the results (according to the print outs) were quite astonishing. Will be waiting a couple of months and then having the emissions tested again to see what happens. Car still sounds beautiful, and seems to be going as quick, but I've been driving my van for a few weeks, so ANY MG would sound and feel good :)

Have enjoyed participating in this thread, but will be keeping an eye on any additions. Thanks to all

That's good news!
Interesting that it wouldn't pass with the sports cat on, though. The whole point of the sports cat is to pass mot emissions! Did he replace the lamba sensor first, and how did that effect the readings?
David
:shrug:

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15919

Not really sure about the Lambda sensor. He gave me the old one back, claiming that it is "probably" fine. Don't have a full set of emissions figures for just the Lambda change. He insists that the Cat made the big difference. I'm not really convinced that the numbers actually came off my car. I'll be experimenting between now and the next MOT.

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15921

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My emerald arrived on saturday, but i need an adapter from emerald (£15) to get it hooked up to "Midge", will keep you all posted on my results!

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15939

I'm looking forward to hearing about "program 3", which is "grunt" another 15 bhp at 5000 rpm. Program 1 being MOT and the good lady's "get me home from a party" mode. Program 2 is the boy racer mode (of which I am a 57 year old version), and program 3 is Stig Mode, for that "Lang Stracht" (Long Straight for non-Scots) which unfolds for 4miles ahead. HAPPY PROGRAMMING Ozzy

I expect some "chauvinist pig" responsesto this, and I sincerely apologize, but I know my good lady doesn't like 160 horses, and she won't be reading this thread :)

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT