Sign In   Register

Topic

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15352

I assume that's the Steptronic you've got? I would be carefull with how far you go with tuning, AFAIK the gearbox is already very close to it's limit with the standard car.

Could go down the gearbox mod route which I had done to my Steppy now good for well over 200 bhp- not cheep but worth it
Chris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15381

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Could go down the gearbox mod route which I had done to my Steppy now good for well over 200 bhp- not cheep but worth it
Chris

What have you done to "bomb proof" your gearbox?

Dave Andrews thinks with the 633 piper cams and the ported head, even with stock 48mm TB i am pushing about 150-160bhp at the crank (probably 135-140 at the wheels) so may be worth looking into, occationally the steptronic boxes appear on ebay for silly cheap prices (missed one that went for £36 the other day as i only bid £35! lol!)

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15398

What have you done to "bomb proof" your gearbox?

Dave Andrews thinks with the 633 piper cams and the ported head, even with stock 48mm TB i am pushing about 150-160bhp at the crank (probably 135-140 at the wheels) so may be worth looking into, occationally the steptronic boxes appear on ebay for silly cheap prices (missed one that went for £36 the other day as i only bid £35! lol!)

I had it rebuilt by a ZF technician ceramic clutches nad higher spec drive belts, and bearings, included a gearbox ecu re calibration with a raised rev limit to 6500. Will take a lot more horsepower and torque then the standard unit. i have run over 200 bhp at the flywheel with no issues.
Chris

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15413

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I had it rebuilt by a ZF technician ceramic clutches nad higher spec drive belts, and bearings, included a gearbox ecu re calibration with a raised rev limit to 6500. Will take a lot more horsepower and torque then the standard unit. i have run over 200 bhp at the flywheel with no issues.
Chris

can i ask how many £££ and if you still have the info for this chap? having spend £1100 just on my head (without fitting) i would like to make the car "bomb proof" so that Mrs Oz can do some airfield/activity/track days in it...

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15415

Aww congrats hun - your thread is the first to be posted on the T Bar's new Twitter page! Thanks for the great thread! :thumbsup:

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15417

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
yay me!!!!!! :)

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15419

yay me!!!!!! :)

Lol I knew you'd be happy - I know it's early but feel free to down a pint to your success! :lol:

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15433

can i ask how many £££ and if you still have the info for this chap? having spend £1100 just on my head (without fitting) i would like to make the car "bomb proof" so that Mrs Oz can do some airfield/activity/track days in it...

sure just pm me and i will give you the info

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15546

had the black stripe added when a friend of mine got killed driving his Honda'd Elise...

oh heck, hope the TF doesnt do the same to me when i honda it!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 8 months ago #15588

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

oh heck, hope the TF doesnt do the same to me when i honda it!

he just got caught out on an icy road, 340bhp in a 850kg car will do that do you... its not like he couldnt drive either, one of the best drivers i knew, used to work for McLaren as Heki's race mechanic... very tragic :(

just be sencible. (says he putting a Jag V8 in a 900kg Excel!)

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15711

Not really a reply to the thread, but seeing the amount of knowledge that is reading it, I need to ask a question (or two). My MGF VVC has been reworked to Mike Satur's Clubman Spec. Ported, 52mm TB, Air intake, sports Cat. Noisy exhaust. It sounds great, goes like stink, and is pure exciting fun to drive. (stopping stuff has been upgraded too). Problem is, the exhaust emmisions are off the chart. It burns petrol very efficiently at 4000 revs plus, but at MOT engine speeds, it isn't good at all. I bought the car in this condition, and have no idea what options there are to help this situation.
Can any of you MGF petrol heads please help me get the low rev emmisions down to MOT levels.

wow... new cams and ported head make one hell of a difference dont they? 13 years 7 months ago #15712

Not really a reply to the thread, but seeing the amount of knowledge that is reading it, I need to ask a question (or two). My MGF VVC has been reworked to Mike Satur's Clubman Spec. Ported, 52mm TB, Air intake, sports Cat. Noisy exhaust. It sounds great, goes like stink, and is pure exciting fun to drive. (stopping stuff has been upgraded too). Problem is, the exhaust emmisions are off the chart. It burns petrol very efficiently at 4000 revs plus, but at MOT engine speeds, it isn't good at all. I bought the car in this condition, and have no idea what options there are to help this situation.
Can any of you MGF petrol heads please help me get the low rev emmisions down to MOT levels.

Which version of Mems are you running? If you have Mems 3 (no distributor, coil packs on top of the engine) a remap on a rolling road could sort it out. If you are running one of the earlier ECUs it would probably mean looking into changing the ECU. Its basically a fuelling / ignition mapping problem.
Chris

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT