Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33673

Your car is in to be fixed/serviced/upgraded, the garage has been kind enough to let you borrow a car from them. However the quality can very, tell us about the best and worse you have ever had.

My worst was an MGF, she came with both front tyres on the left hand side and both rear tyres on the right hand side! There was no cover on the soft top so I had to drive around with the hard top on. She had a fuel leak so bad that when I opened the door you could see the fumes evaporating!

The best, is the MG6 I have at the moment. Nice to drive, handles well and looks fab!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33674

the best mg weve had is the red F

worst has to my blue F which has put me of fs and tfs ever since
nice cars to drive handle verry well but mechanicaly very poor compaired to my old rover SD1 i had for 16 years and that never broke down only the rust got to it eventualy god i miss that car v8 auto total fun even stepping the rear out on corners :)
reg was A517JVC
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33675

the best mg weve had is the red F

worst has to my blue F which has put me of fs and tfs ever since
nice cars to drive handle verry well but mechanicaly very poor compaired to my old rover SD1 i had for 16 years and that never broke down only the rust got to it eventualy god i miss that car v8 auto total fun even stepping the rear out on corners :)
reg was A517JVC

16 years - that's a long term courtesy car.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33676

I've only had 2.

First one was a Rover 820 Vitesse while my T16 engine was being fitted to my maestro.

I drove the Rover 800 home and found the following faults.

ABS warning light on.

Power Steering Leak.

Blowing Exhaust.

(The above are faults that will cause MOT failure so therefore makes the car unroadworthy).

Missing wing mirror.

Boot won’t open.

Slow Puncture.

Radio not working.

Air conditioning not working.

(full story at http://home.btconnect.com/talkingcars/T16con.htm )

The second was a Nissan micra diesel to replace my ZS180 when it broke down on the way to Spain, 1500 miles in it weren't the best, garage mechanic in France pointed out it must be good, it's got aircon, I pointed out my ZS did as well. Howver it did 106mph!

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33682

hi opppps miss red the origional post
but hey iv never had a curtesy car , lol
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33687

When my Range Rover had its rear drivers side wing peeled off by an articulated lorry at some traffic lights (god only knows how he missed seeing a RANGE ROVER!!!) the nearest the garage could find me was a Corsa! It was truly awful. The pedals were too close together, it had almost no 'go' in it at all for a 1.2 or whatever it was, and one of its tyres kept randomly losing pressure!

I was stuck with it for two weeks while they sourced a wing and alloy welded it. Mind you I managed to get a Vogue bumper upgrade and Y2K lights out of it as the dealer said they could 'bung it on the bill as REPAIRS' ........

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33741

The worst courtesy car I very had was when I had my worst ever car. While my HR-V, the ex-wife chose it, was in being serviced the Honda dealer gave me a base model 1.4 Civic. Nothing too bad you might think, except that it was fully decked out as a BTCC look-a-like complete with massive Honda logos and numbers on the side. Every boy racer for miles around was lining up to race me away from the lights.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33750

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
We were given an old Citroen Visa once.

Can't say we've ever had a good one though.

Did get a good hire car once when I came back from the Falklands. Waiting for me was a nice shiny new Calibra with only 300 miles on the clock. It had full leather etc. Driving up the A1 from Brize Norton at around midnight, it certainly got a good road test. ;)

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33757

I can't remember ever having a courtesy car, but the worst hire car we ever had was in Corfu, It was a Dhaihatsu open top jeep thing, and after picking it up, the first bump in the road saw the rear silencer fall off and bounce down the road in a shower of 'sparks! It was totally rotten. On the short trip back to the Hire Shop with the rusted rear box in the back, I noticed that the oil light kept coming on as we turned each corner.
I took the back box into the shop and said I think it needs a new exhaust, and 'oh by the way, the engine might last longer if you put some oil in it.
'How do you know it needs oil?' I was asked. :-?
So I told them and they followed me outside where I watched their 'mechanic' eventually find and extract the dipstick. No oil showing at all on it. ;)

Having said that, after being filled with 3 litres of oil, we ran around in it for a fun week! :woohoo:
David
:shrug:

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33765

Had a mk3 Fiesta after someone hit my mk2 Fiesta. Both were 1.1. How on earth did Ford manage to make the mk3 handle worse, use more fuel, drink oil and add about 10s on the 0-60 times? Felt like a real step backwards. Was glad to get my car back!

Guess this doesn't count - but borrowed my dads Jag 3.0v6 (x-type) for a week in France :D High revs sounded lush, and overtaking slow stuff was easy

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33779

This is one of Dave Pymm's courtesy cars, he made it one afternoon about 15 years ago out of 2 scrappers for a total of £100 :P I have used it a few times and it drives reallly well. Its a real trip down memory lane, 4 speed gearbox and no extras at all . It slways flies through its Mot and is very easy on fuel. Over the years any trim not welded on has gone AWOL :(

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Best and worst courtesy cars you have had........ 12 years 4 months ago #33871

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Worst was a Peugot 306 which constantly cut the engine on when driving across Snake Pass. I hated it.

Best had to be the replacement sent when my Omega V6 was hit by a drunk and was in for repair, which took three weeks over Christmas a couple of years ago,.. Cadillac CTS 3.6l

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT