Sign In   Register

Topic

What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33498

This should age us a bit :lol:

I learnt to drive in my MK3 Ford Cortina and my driving instructors Mini Clubman.
I passed my test in the Clubman and had one of my most embarrassing driving times in it too.......................

My driving instructor (on my 3rd lesson) picked me up with one of his other learners in the back (a very attractive girl) When I got into the car he said "This is John my star pupil, he is an excellent driver already and I have brought you along so you can see how it's done"

I drove like a useless twit for the entire lesson, I just went to pieces!!!! I hit the curb several times, I stalled it at least 8 times and I nearly ran some one over on a Zebra crossing. My instructor just sat there, staring through the wind screen, slowly changing colour from pink to white to red to purple.........oh dear :oops:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Red Devil.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33500

Army landrover. But this was my first car when I passed my test.

http://www.tommysandham.name/anglia.htm

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33502

I got my first practice in an early 70's Singer Vogue that my Grandfather had brought back from England. Then I took an Army Cadet driving course where they let us loose in the grasslands in a motley assortment of Korean war era jeeps and 3/4T Dodge Powerwagons. Now that was fun! I ended up taking my test in my Step-Dad's brand new Chevy Nova. (Not at all like the Novas sold in the UK!)
My first car was a brand new 1974 MGB, bought with the proceeds of my first full time job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33506

Hillman Imp and Austin mini metro

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33508

Hillman Imp and Austin mini metro

My uncle had an Hillman Imp!!!!!

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33512

I had the joys of an Austin Allegro for lessons and test. Such fun! :sick: But i was lucky to get my dads hand me down as a first car: 850 cc Renault 6. Went round corners at 45 degrees. Great car though!
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33513

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Hillman Hunter

Mitsubishi Colt

Nissan Sunny

Nissan Micra

and probably some others too ;)

It took me 4 attempts to pass my test. Passed my bike test first time though.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33540

First car I drove on the road was one like this (only in dark green), and belonged to my dad:

But then went on to learn mainly in my mums, which was a hand painted orange one of these:

But I was driving on the road before 17 as I worked part time on a farm, so my first drives were a Zetor, a Ford 3000 and a Ford Furguson.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33542

I learn't to drive and pass my test in a MG metro, the driving instructor was brilliant, we came to a set of traffic lights outside a pub where a group of my mates were standing, all shouting at me to wheel spin it, so my instructor said "Go on then floor it", so i did, god it had some poke. :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33547

Learned to drive and got the licence in an Opel Kadett B.
Looks like a Vauxhall Viva HC from what I've seen at wiki.

First own car was a Citroen Dyane 4 (24 PS !!)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Dyane
Dieter K.
MGF Rep. MGCC DE
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33550

I learned to drive in one of these:-

Took my test in one of these:-

My first car was one of these:-
David
:shrug:

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33553

My dad taught me to drive when I was 17 in his cortina but because we lived in central London I never got round to taking my test, as I didn't have any need for a car - nowhere to park (my dad rented a gaage), horrible insurance and by the time I was 18 I was working in IT for Lloyds Bank and spent all my spare time in the West End ;)

13 years later, when SHMBO fell pregnant, I thought I had better pass. My wife already drove, so spent 6 months driving round in her Mk1 Escourt (with her in the car too) then took 6 lessons in a Nissan Sunny and was put in for my test by my instructor. TBH I was VERY confident by then, I'd been round Hyde Park corner about 50 times and driven throughout central London, and was very put out when I failed :omg:

The examiner said I failed to use my mirrors enough which was complete BS, tests results seem so arbitary :nonod:

Drove like a complete idiot the second time and passed :-?

I remember the date well - 29th Feb 1988, just in time because our daughter was born 3 days later :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT