Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33555

The first car I drove on the road in the UK was one like this.

Except it was painted metallic gold. The car was new at the time. I later learnt to drive and passed my test in a Triumoh Herald.

I felt I was cheating in the 3 point turn, those cars had a tiny turning circle. I had a full motorcycle liceence for about 4 years before passing my car test.. It was a lot simpler and easier then, I thnk they make it hard now so no one can get their licence and so no new roads are needed.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33564

First car I drove on the road was one like this (only in dark green), and belonged to my dad:

But then went on to learn mainly in my mums, which was a hand painted orange one of these:

But I was driving on the road before 17 as I worked part time on a farm, so my first drives were a Zetor, a Ford 3000 and a Ford Furguson.

I had an Orange (ADO16) 1300 GT, she was one of the last 25 off the production line. I sold her to get my first F back in 2008.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963, Leigh Ping

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33583

I learned to drive in a 1976 Chrysler Fleetwood Brougham 360 cu in displacement and took my test in a Dodge Omni!! I started to restore a 67 MGB Roadster when I was 14 and had it on the road when I was 18!!

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33598

I had "sort of" learnt to drive off road before i got a driving licence, in a SS Jaguar and an Austin 7 ~ Had six lessons from a driving school in an Austin A60 Cambridge and in between lessons drove my Father's MG Magnette Mk IV which was a company car! Took my test in the instructors Cambridge and passed first time :woohoo: That was 50 years ago :omg:

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33604

The first car I drove was my parents new 1987 Fiat Panda 4x4 and I then learnt to drive and passed my test in a Fiesta 1.6 diesel. Due to a mix up with my instructor I almost had to take my test in a slightly different Fiesta - my uncle's XR2.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33618

I learned in my instructors

He changed it every August when the new reg came out so I got to drive 2 of them.

I also practiced in my fathers

I failed my first test pulling out in front of someone, would have been brilliant driving if I hadn't been blinded by the sun and the road had been clear. The retest was short notice and the instructor couldn't fit me in so I did it in the Lada and passed. A couple of years later my father gave me the Lada and that's when the fun started - Lada were rallying at the time.........

I learned to instruct in several

I can't remember what LGV's I learnt in, think they were mercs....

Due to a mix up with my instructor I almost had to take my test in a slightly different Fiesta - my uncle's XR2.

I usd a mk2 1.1 ghia as a teaching car for a while, 1 of my pupils boyfriend had an XR2 which she drove more so took her test in it and passed.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33620

learnt to drive in a hilman avenger HHP39L
PASSED MY TEST AND USED MY MOMS HILMAN IMP then her mini mayfair till i dented it :(

then got a mk3 cortina MAW398P

ONLY problem is i have photos but they did not have computers and digital cameras

the cortina ended up with a 3ltr v6 grady essex engine and boy was that fun :) and nice cheap insurance them days

passed car test first time when 18 but had been on bike for 2 years pased bike test 2nd time round
failed first time due to pulling a wheely from the lights opps :)
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Last edit: Post by MGF MARK.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33623

I did my driving lessons in a seat ibiza system porche lol

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33633

I learnt in a Mini, my Mum had a Mini, then my first car was a Mini-just have to love em, don't ya?

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33637

I learnt to drive and pass my test in an Austin Allegro, the one with the almost square steering wheel. My first car was a Ford Capri 1.6 GT XLR. It was in red with a matt black bonnet. Even now when I go to classic car shows I always go to the Capri stand and think of the good old days.

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33640

I learned to drive in my 1973 metallic purple Mini - it had an 1100 Allegro engine and gearbox fitted and went like a rocket. Sold it to a person in Portland, Dorset and when I checked it last on the DVLA site it hadn't been taxed since 1993, but it doesn't say it's been scrapped so it could be sitting in a barn somewhere!

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? 12 years 4 months ago #33643

• Squeaks
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Loving owning a Porsche :)
brand new 2004 Vauxhall corsa SRI which had already got through 2 steering racks and went through 3 more before my instructor had enough of it and bought a golf.
Dan :)

:D I may not always be right..... BUT I am NEVER wrong lol :D

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT