Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178713

Hello,

Not my first post due to a rust based panic!
But I thought I'd say hello and show you all my MG.

It was fairly well cared for by its previous owner, just not the ones before that! Hence the rust issues!

Few issues I want to sort out though and would like some advice:

It has a massive K&N cone fitted, which is filthy and sucks in nothing but warm air, now i dont know if i should clean it and fit ducting or fit an airbox and performance panel

The exhaust is blowing, I think its at the backbox flange as this is covered in gungum and the mounting strap has fallen off? the backbox itself is rusty as anything so I will be replacing this with a MGOC supersport soon, is there any cheaper alternitives and does anyone know where i can get a mounting strap cheap?

The engine clunks when I pull away, I think its probably some sort of torque control bush, is there a common one that fails?

Best coolant level switch? my mum spent my childhood cooking k-series engines so I have "the fear"

The brakes are awful, spongey and terrible bite. The front discs and pads are fairly new so im unsure theyve been bedded in properly as the fluid is fine?

I think that's it for now, im currently abit skint so cheaper options are preferred, aslong as they last as I want to keep this one for atleast two years!

Cheers
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178714

Welcome aboard Luggage. :lol:

:welcome:

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178715

exhaust bracket right now on ebay below...just click the link
MG TF MGTF 1.6 1.8 - EXHAUST BACKBOX MOUNTING STRAP BAND HANGER
Completed
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178717

Hi and welcome

There is lots of info on the forum.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178719

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178720

Hello and :welcome:

I'm no expert but spongey brakes is common in TFs. A couple of things can help,a servo bracket is one and new braided hoses helps.

I like the Browns and gammons coolant alarms I've had them on both of my cars, a bit pricey but I think they're worth the money.https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/mgf-mgf20-cooling-system/mgf-tf-low-coolant-water-level-sensor-kit-bgf1111

The engine mounts could be causing the clunk, I think the bottom one is a known offender.

I run a standard air box and filter and the only modification to mine is I've diverted the intake pipes to the side vent. Fancy solutions seem like a waste of money to me and have not been proven to make a lot of difference to performance.

Original rusty exhausts is very usual, when you do swap a grinder is the best way to remove the back box bolts.

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178729

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178736

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178782

Hi and :welcome: from John in Pudsey .

The clunk . Mine had this when I bought it . Turned out to be the drive shaft steak nut on the o/s/r wheel that had never had the collar punched into the drive shaft to lock it into place , a common problem I have been told . I torqued up the nut , punched the collar into the groove in the drive shaft and the clunk went away . Worth checking both of yours. Nice looking car you have .

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamelphick

Hi all 6 years 10 months ago #178927

Cheers guys!

First problem sorted today, found a snorkel cable tied in the engine bay! so now its feeding from the passenger intake to the filter (I know it'll still be warm at low speed)

I will look at the driveshaft nut when I've next got the wheel off

I've checked the exhaust join from cat to backbox, definitely leaking there as it has a massive gap that was filled with gun gum!, appears there's literally no nuts to cut off, just a small nub of rust left that I'll probably have to drill through and bolt.

Last edit: Post by L354UGE.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.073 seconds