Sign In   Register

Topic

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139617

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
We would need to know which cars had ABS and the bias valve.
Would cars with the standard brakes and ABS be different than cars with APs and ABS? :-?
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139619

According to RAVE (8th Edition), cars with ABS have a Brake Pressure Proportioning Valve.

My 1998 F has got ABS. I'll have a look in the morning to see if it has the valve fitted. From what I remember, I'm pretty sure it has.

Robin
Robin ;)

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139624

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
I can understand a bias valve if 240mm discs were fitted all around even with ABS. :yesnod:
David

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139648

FWIW..my LE500 (with AP brakes) has ABS and no brake proportioning valve...at least not in the front boot...the bracket for one is there but the pipes show no signs of being mucked about so I would guess one was never fitted..
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139663

As I thought, my 1998 VVC F has ABS and the bias valve, with the standard size brake discs.

Robin
Robin ;)
Attachments:

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139725

My 1996 MGF with ABS also has that proportioning valve - but of course was also fitted with 240mm brakes all round.

Very interested to see that at some point MG Rover deleted the proportioning valve?

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139726

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
I'm wondering if they removed the valve for cars equipped with APs and ABS as standard items? :-?
David

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139771

That's a good question! Tipper's TF120, with standard 240mm brakes all round and ABS does not have the proportioning valve.

Therefore I wonder whether, on TFs at least:
ABS = no proportioning valve
No ABS = proportioning valve fitted

Anyone have a TF that does not fit this rule? :)

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139933

The TF ABS rule is correct: Nick (Austin garages) posted the answer on the MGFRegister forum: Bosch 5.3 ABS has an electronically controlled "Brake Force Distribution" valve that renders the bias valve superfluous.

I am still interested in your observation David that your car effectively does not need the valve at all with APs fitted at the front. But unfortunately I don't think it is a good idea for those with earlier Bosch 5.0 ABS to simply delete the bias valve.

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139941

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
I would tend to agree with that analysis. There are a number of possible combinations of brake disc size and ABS fitment and type (5.0;5.3).
Each situation would need to be individually assessed.

All I can state categorically is that non ABS cars that are upgraded to APs will benefit from a different bias.
Whether that is by fitting an adjustable valve or simply removing the standard proportioning valve could only be decided on a case by case basis.

Retrofitting APs to a car that already has ABS could be complicated.

We have to accept that it seems de rigeur to swap the 240s to 304s with no regard to balance. At least prompting debate about front rear balance after this massive change has to be good.
David

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139954

What impact does fitting APs and 304mm discs have on the MOT? And for that matter adding an adjustable bias valve?

I know that there are tolerances for left and right on front and rear but are there upper limits for braking force or is it just a lower limt at the front and at the back? Also, are there figures for front / rear balance?

You'd expect that as long as the braking force at each end is above the minimum and within tolerance left and right, the car would pass but I wonder if there is something about front / rear as well.

Just interested really.

Robin
Robin ;)

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 2 months ago #139960

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
The main impact is that you will have better braking figures.
There is a minimum percentage of the car's weight that needs to be achieved in terms of brake force. I think it's 50%. In other words if the car weighs 1260 kgs, then you need at least 630kgF of brakes.

If your 240mm setup is in good condition then you can expect to get (2x220)+(2x170) = 780kgf. Just over 60%
If they're in poor repair you will struggle to achieve 50%.

With APs you probably achieve minimum 50% with the front brakes themselves. My results suggest a total brake force around 1100kg
So a brake efficiency of over 85%. :broon:

As you say there is a balance check side to side but I don't know if there is an acceptable front/rear balance figure but I will find out from my mate. :yesnod:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT