Sign In   Register

Topic

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 1 month ago #139964

Your results are mightily impressive David and as I recall your front/ rear balance was very close to the standard set up with the bias valve fully open, so you've ended up with a car that has the potential to stop much sooner than the standard - has to be a good thing :broon:

What I was concerned about is, say you had the bias valve 'switched' completely the other way, to provide maximum braking effort to the front wheels, what effect would that have on the MOT test? Perhaps your mate will know.

Thinking about it, I suppose that for a road car, overbraking on the front is probably safer than overbraking on the back isn't it?

All interesting and useful stuff this.

Robin
Robin ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 1 month ago #139981

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
The valve doesn't work that way Robin. The brake system is split front and back. The valve is on the rear circuit.
The front wheels are unaffected by the valve as they are on a separate line. in effect you are just varying the pressure to the rears.
So at max. as I have it you have 100% pressure going to front and rear. The difference in braking force is because of the different disc calliper arrangement front and rear.
With the valve totally the other way you would have 100% front/ 40% rear.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 1 month ago #139983

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
And yes, standard brake systems are all designed for the front to lock up before the rears. Perhaps that's the wrong way to put it but you get my drift. The fronts must always be better than the rears, otherwise you risk swapping ends in a nasty smashy :oops: sort of way. :woowoo:
David
:shrug:

AP Brakes balance - how to fit adjustable valve. 10 years 1 month ago #139989

Understood and thanks.

R
Robin ;)

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT