Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58643

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Looks like you had a fantastic day :broon:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58649

• birks
  • Loves going topless!!!
Another brilliant run David :woohoo: Thanks ever so much for organising this...and Tracy...congratulations on booking such fantastic weather B)
It was great to welcome 6 new faces to the weird and wonderful ways of the group, as well as catching up with the rest of the seasoned Patrollers :lol:

Piccies to follow....ther elves are just uploading them to PB!

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58664

• birks
  • Loves going topless!!!
some pics...

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58666

• birks
  • Loves going topless!!!
and the Patrollers....

the cone thief in action...

Leigh Ping....before cream

and after!

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58667

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Lucky Canadian Lakes Run was an apt title for this Border Patrol event.

After the almost constant rain lately and the forecasts of rain, rain and more rain .... the sun shone the roofs remained firmly down and the multi coloured Border Patrol MG Roller coaster produced another magical ride. :woohoo:

Huge thanks to David for organising this run, the route took in; views of lakes, castles, ancient stone circles, valleys deep and mountains high.

However, the roads.... :drive:

The MGF / TF was produced for just such roads; tight twists and turns steep inclines and descents. The engines start, the exhausts announce their readiness to commence the run and we're off.

Some gentle winding lanes, taking in the glorious scenery ....and then with the back drop of subject Lakes and Mountains, with Canadians at our side, some :whistle: extended spirited sections where the cars prove that the F/TF is a real sports car and fully deserves the MG badge.

Plenty of stops throughout the day to refresh, take a few photos and have a chat in good company.

Thanks also need to go out to our honorary guests Mark and Judy who were a delight have with us. I'm sure your Border Patrol badges will be winging their way to you as we speak.

:beer: to Bob, Paul & Jenni, Leigh & Julie, Maggy & Phil, Clive & Anne, Tracy & Daz - for making yesterday a day to remember for all the correct reasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, birks, Leigh Ping

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58671

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Fab photos looking forward to the rest of them, really glad you had a brilliant day :broon:

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58756

I posted this at .org when I spotted the pics there -

What a superb day this was! My first event and the wifes' last! Or so she tells me. The teeth marks should buff out eventually. Nice to meet all those that went, all lovely people and certifiabley insane drivers. I was compelled to switching into sports mode and changing gear on my steppy just to keep with the pack! A big thanks to the event organiser 'David Aiketgate'. I'll post a few pics over at the T-Bar. T'was truly awesome! Cheers... Leigh & Julie.

Despite a rough start two minutes from home with a popped wiper arm, it all went superbly well. Everybody was welcoming and friendly and made us feel right at home. We had expected an idyllic sight seeing tour of the lakes area, some gently rolling, mountainous views, peaceful villages and a flock or two of sheep. What we got was a thrilling, adrenaline charged, rally road ride up hill and o'er dale, some blurred scenery as we sped through accompanied by the deep thrums of tasteful exhaust notes, screeching tyres, the smell of brakes, fingernail marks in the door, teethmarks in the dash and my wife Julies' newly found expletives! On top of all that I managed to get sunstroke on what was supposed to have been another rainy day. Fortunately, there was no roadkill and, short of being threatened with divorce, it truly was a most memorable experience with pleasant company and a nice meal at the end of it all. :broon:

My steppy managed to keep up quite well overall. But a couple of times I had to flick from lpg to petrol, bang it into sports mode and change gear manually to keep up. I'd never really heard my exhaust in the past year until I discovered the 3 mile stretch of road known as 'the struggle' between Ambleside and the Kirkstone inn. That was moments after we heard Clive on the walkie talkie radio saying "And now the fun begins!" just as we hit the road to hell! Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking the worst is behind us... but the day drew in more outstanding roads, hairpin bends, one after another and ramping roads that would make 'Bullitt' look like 'Driving Miss Daisy'!

Paul, PQD44 is spot on when he said these cars were made for such roads. Rich in Vancouver.. yep, you missed out Rich and Mr and mrs Mowog didn't. Mark and Judy had one of those experiences that will last you a lifetime. It was brilliant and we won't be forgetting it in a hurry either. Here's a few pics from the day. I'm sorry they're not as good as some others. But the camera lady was in shock! :)

Oops.. it's an MG - Fortunately, I knew 'the fix' for the popped wiper arm.

Attachment DSC04353.JPG not found

The gathering. You know that you're going thin on top when a Chinese crested dog has more hair than you! :)

Aptly named.

Ten MG's overtake a lorry on the race to the summit on the infamous Hartside cafe road.

Hairpins galore!

Sunkissed but very happy :)

Thankyou all for a wonderful day out. Cheers David for organising such a great event, a fantastic route and for giving us lifelong memories that we'll cherish until the alzheimers kicks in. :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: , PQD44

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58764

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
What a superb write up Leigh :woohoo: The human brain is good at filtering out certain things, I'm sure Julie will soon recover. Yes the Border Patrol runs are not for the Sunday Driver :whistle:

Thanks to Julie for the photos and look forward to seeing you both at the next run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58765

look forward to seeing you both at the next run.

I just know that that was 'tongue in cheek' Paul. :whistle:

Cheers for the thanks. :broon:

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58771

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
As I led the train of shiny MGs o'er hill and dale, I was accompanied by Judy(Mrs Mowog) in the 'nervous' passenger seat. Judy also found pleasure in ferociously gripping parts of the car's interior and emergency braking on my behalf. :bust:

However, I can honestly say that my tyres never squealed, my brakes were never rammed on, and I drove well within my limits and hardly troubled the car at all.

I can only assume that this talk of 'spirited' driving arises from the 'Hartside Mutiny' when several cars( no names to protect the innocent) disappeared from near the summit of Hartside and we only found them again at the picturesque village of Melmerby at the foot of the pass. My suspicions were raised by the unmistakeable aroma of fried brake lining :whistle: as we entered the village and the sight of several MGs parked up with plumes of acrid smoke coming from the vicinity of brake callipers. :spank:
David
:shrug:

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58772

I can only assume that this talk of 'spirited' driving arises from the 'Hartside Mutiny' when several cars( no names to protect the innocent) disappeared from near the summit of Hartside and we only found them again at the picturesque village of Melmerby at the foot of the pass. My suspicions were raised by the unmistakeable aroma of fried brake lining :whistle: as we entered the village and the sight of several MGs parked up with plumes of acrid smoke coming from the vicinity of brake callipers. :spank:

First time I've seen my brakes smoking,I thought it was Pauls car doing all the smoking but my metro brakes were slightly warmed up too :help: .I blame Phil and Maggy :spank: they shot off so I just tried to keep up down the hill.Tracy proved once again that here little 1.6 engine is no slouch as she kept pulling away from me on the twisty stuff.I covered 300 miles on Friday 10% of my yearly allowance,was it worth it........hell yes :woohoo: .Can't wait for the next run :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, bensewell

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes Run Friday 13/7 11 years 9 months ago #58789

i blame Phil for the mutiny but you gotta say us border patrol birds know how to handle our cars

you boys really need ap`s our brakes weren't smoking :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: birks

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT