Sign In   Register

Topic

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 8 months ago #15078

Will sort out the niggly bits nearer the time.

Can you ask Chris if he wants CF?

i would do mate but he's traveling around europe for the rest of the money! lol

shall text him and just cry at my bill later :D lol
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15691

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Got back on saturday after dropping the bonnet off with the guy to mould. He says that it should look good and looks a lot better in real life than he was trying to imagine from the photos.

He has a little backlog of jobs that he has to clear before starting on the bonnet, but will keep me informed of the progress. I also asked him to take some photos as he goes along, so I will keep this thread updated if there is any news to tell.

His work looks really good quality and he seems to pay attention to the details.

He also gave me a freebie to play with.

I told him the next project was a matching bootlid, with extra cooling vents, a raised rear spoiler/lip and a different high level brakelight, so he gave me a fibreglass bootlid skin to play with.

Here are the pictures of the bootlid, just to show the quality of the fibreglass. Bear in mind it has been lying around in his garage and has picked up a few scuffs.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15692

Got back on saturday after dropping the bonnet off with the guy to mould. He says that it should look good and looks a lot better in real life than he was trying to imagine from the photos.

He has a little backlog of jobs that he has to clear before starting on the bonnet, but will keep me informed of the progress. I also asked him to take some photos as he goes along, so I will keep this thread updated if there is any news to tell.

His work looks really good quality and he seems to pay attention to the details.

He also gave me a freebie to play with.

I told him the next project was a matching bootlid, with extra cooling vents, a raised rear spoiler/lip and a different high level brakelight, so he gave me a fibreglass bootlid skin to play with.

Here are the pictures of the bootlid, just to show the quality of the fibreglass. Bear in mind it has been lying around in his garage and has picked up a few scuffs.

Hmm I like the look of that ,additional vents are a must for me though.
Chris

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15693

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Well, the idea is to add at least 2 more rows of vents, so it would be 5 deep instead of 3, and I will be looking at a removeable panel on the inside skin so that 2 slimline fans could be fitted that would kick in to suck out excess heat.

The rear lip will be bigger, but still subtle.

The key hole will be filled, so electric boot release only (you can drill a hole if you want a lock).

And an aftermarket high level brake light, so we can have a clear or smoked one rather than the red. Also it will be easier to remove than the standard brakelight, which you can 90% guarantee will break if you try to remove it.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15696

Awesome! Keep us informed about the bootlid as I'm very interested in that. :)

I'll probably need the extra vents after fitting my scoops, lol.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15697

• Visitor
  • Visitor
How about hiding the key hole under the badge like an Alfa 159?

Edit: Call me paranoid but electric only boot release and bonnet release in the boot + flat battery = lots and lots of swearing

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15701

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Or you could just run a cable into the cab somewhere as a manual release.

It's not the look of the key hole, it is just the fact that I (and some others) no longer have one.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 7 months ago #15730

Or you could just run a cable into the cab somewhere as a manual release.

It's not the look of the key hole, it is just the fact that I (and some others) no longer have one.

as im trying to smooth the car as much as possible i wouldnt want one with a key hole lol

def fancy the additional vents but not sure about the bigger boot lip some how

glad to hear progress is being made

just need a car to fit my bonnet to now!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 6 months ago #16540

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everybody. Are the bonnets a goer as I would be interested in getting one. Thanks, Ned.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 6 months ago #16542

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Hi everybody. Are the bonnets a goer as I would be interested in getting one. Thanks, Ned.

Hi Ned.

The bonnets are in the stage of being moulded from the original. There is still time to put your name down, but I will require a £50 deposit to secure one. The deposit is non refundable, unless the whole operation falls through at this end, then you will get your £50 back. This is just to cover the moulding costs.

If you are interested, then let me know if you are interested in fibreglass or carbon fibre and I will PM you my Paypal account details.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 6 months ago #16544

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Hi Ned.

The bonnets are in the stage of being moulded from the original. There is still time to put your name down, but I will require a £50 deposit to secure one. The deposit is non refundable, unless the whole operation falls through at this end, then you will get your £50 back. This is just to cover the moulding costs.

If you are interested, then let me know if you are interested in fibreglass or carbon fibre and I will PM you my Paypal account details.

Could you explain the differences between the FG and CF please (apart from material and cost?) PM me the details as Im in.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 6 months ago #16550

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Carbon fibre is stronger and lighter than fibreglass. It also has a nice finish unpainted, as opposed to fibreglass which has to be painted. CF is the prefered material for performance cars.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT