Sign In   Register

Topic

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14693

as discussed clive i'm pretty much 100% on this... however i may have a small issue (or 3) lol

1... is i would like to use bonnet pins, i already have some courtesy of chris (quicksilver) no idea what issues these may cause i mean can i drill through the bonnet? can the pins be screwed to it or will it crack? etc

2... is i would like to have a hydraulic bonnet stay... can this be built into the design as obviously i can't weld a bracket onto a fiberglass bonnet! lol

3... is the length of your styled holes (as opposed to the HPD200)..... is the hole for the ducting still in the low pressure area right at the front of the bonnet? and how far do they go into the under bonnet area? I'm putting something under there you see (details to be announced in the future lol)

i'd be more than happy to have a tootle up to ashington to have a butchers and a chat (and likely as not part with some cash! lol)

p.s. was going to pm you with thses questions but maybe other have the same questions lol
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14712

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I would imagine any bonnet can be drilled to accept pins really.

If you can let me know the exact area you would like strengthend I will talk to my contact. If he won't do it without increasing the price you can always use fibreglass to bond in your own strengthening area, or it might line up with the frame. It may be that he could add these points to your bonnet only, but that may add a bit on the cost.

As for the vents, they are as far forward as you can go really without major structural work. You can see the top of the slam panel through the front of the vents.

This is the HPD

and this is mine.

You know you are more than welcome to come up and have a look.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14713

As for the vents, they are as far forward as you can go really without major structural work. You can see the top of the slam panel through the front of the vents.

This is the HPD

and this is mine.

You know you are more than welcome to come up and have a look.

perfect they look to be in the exact same place except yours extend, so i could create the ducting where the slam panel is and then panel off the rest of the opening to protect whats going in the spare wheel well area.

I would imagine any bonnet can be drilled to accept pins really.

If you can let me know the exact area you would like strengthend I will talk to my contact. If he won't do it without increasing the price you can always use fibreglass to bond in your own strengthening area, or it might line up with the frame. It may be that he could add these points to your bonnet only, but that may add a bit on the cost..

im sure the bonnet can be drilled i was just concerned about the fiberglass cracking, im not sure what properties it holds in that respect, but im sure it can be done as fiberglass is widely used in racing and if you contact makes racing panels then i assume he will know

the only issue then is the hydraulic bonnet strut... i think i need to mock them up on my bonnet and see if they can be positioned close to the hinges (this should be an area which is already strong as it were on the fiberglass bonnet and would require little work.

if any extra work is required (which i think it will be as i need something to bolt the struts too and i would rather fork out a few extra quid than try fiber-glassing myself and c*ck it up on a £200 bonnet) i will be happy to pay the extra clive obviously... it seems a few people are interested in the idea of a hydraulic bonnet/boot stay as well as me so it may end up being an "option" on future bonnets anyway :) so everyone wins

naturally however if it is too much work i shall simply muddle on lol

the only issue then would be
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14717

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I could get it added to the bonnet, but the only thing that bothers me is every addition adds weight for those who don't want it.

Once we find out what we need I can enquire if he is happy adding it as and when requested

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14729

sounds good clive, like i say if its just an addition for mine i'd be happy to pay more

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14730

Just had a quick chat with Chis, Clive... have you enquired at all into the cost of Carbon Fiber? we'd both be very interested, obviously the same mould could be used so your £50 to recoop the cost of the mould wouldn't be effected

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14946

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Just had a quick chat with Chis, Clive... have you enquired at all into the cost of Carbon Fiber? we'd both be very interested, obviously the same mould could be used so your £50 to recoop the cost of the mould wouldn't be effected

I have just had a reply.

"I can also do carbon. However i am looking to invest in additional equipment to make the finish much better on such large areas as on bonnets. Ball park price for a carbon bonnet is around £325."

So I have asked a few more questions on quality etc and I will let you know.

Is this sort of price acceptable?

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14953

Just checking the credit card...........................

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #14956

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Just checking the credit card...........................

Are you in then?

Not sure the carbon is a goer yet.

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 9 months ago #15020

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Come on Adam. You still at the fest?

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 8 months ago #15066

I have just had a reply.

"I can also do carbon. However i am looking to invest in additional equipment to make the finish much better on such large areas as on bonnets. Ball park price for a carbon bonnet is around £325."

So I have asked a few more questions on quality etc and I will let you know.

sorry clive ended up with a blistering man flu after fest and started a new job yesterday so this is my first stop by the forums

that price is fine with me mate (yep im loosing the plot and the GF will kill me but nm!!!) i'm thinking that a carbon weave effect in the bonnet will suit my boy racer TF without a re-spray as well so if the carbon bonnet looks carbon then the price will average out for me :) (so naturally will be awaiting your answers on quality/finish eagerly)

the only thing is, thoes pesky bonnet pins, i really dont fancy drilling through £325 quids worth of bonnet without knowing how the CF will react, would you ask your guy if i need to be aware of anything? alternatively i'll happily drive to where ever your getting them made and maybe he can help me fit it to the pin holes??

but yes mate im now confirmed for a CF bonnet :D

New fibreglass bonnets. 13 years 8 months ago #15068

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Will sort out the niggly bits nearer the time.

Can you ask Chris if he wants CF?

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT