Sign In   Register

Topic

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157052

You say that, but the Z3 and the SLK didnt do well either.. the Z3 interior was awful!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157055

Michelle let's face it this is a farce. Firstly there is a 4 door involved.................................... and well the Z3 is a BMW and they are all like that. Cheap and nasty with a huge price tag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matthews

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157061

I don't think it's a farce - (no Clarkson involved), rather a bit of fun among car enthusiasts. And it probably won't change anyone's views (prejudices) on what they like or don't like. Nor is it likely to lead us forward in the discussion of 'what is a sports car?'. As far as the Z3 is concerned I had a ride in a brand new one that a friend had bought and my only memory was a bit of rain dripping in around the passenger window. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in a friend's early MX5 and another friend's early TT. An aunt nearly made me car sick in her SLK (and I've never been car sick). An uncle showed me how to do 70 in 2nd gear in his Sunbeam Tiger while a kind cousin allowed me to get his MGA then his Healey 3000 sideways on the Eastern Avenue. I'd give nearly anything to have my Mk2 Midget back but every time I get in my MGF I enjoy the drive and my non-MG friends can't believe how cheap these great little cars are. Some how I think the earlier and simpler models are the best and the MGF (and TF) are also a bit of British motoring history as they are the last British sports car produced for the masses.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Matthews

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157072

And I should add to my message above that this is all in a good cause.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157176

Well I know about the good cause and in fact beleive have met all those involved and even helped out a little. But the way things are being done mkes it a farce to me. It seems that some can twist the rules and stuff to suit them selves whilst others must stick to them. It's just like British politics in that way.

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157179

I don't think it's a farce - (no Clarkson involved), rather a bit of fun among car enthusiasts. And it probably won't change anyone's views (prejudices) on what they like or don't like. Nor is it likely to lead us forward in the discussion of 'what is a sports car?'. As far as the Z3 is concerned I had a ride in a brand new one that a friend had bought and my only memory was a bit of rain dripping in around the passenger window. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in a friend's early MX5 and another friend's early TT. An aunt nearly made me car sick in her SLK (and I've never been car sick). An uncle showed me how to do 70 in 2nd gear in his Sunbeam Tiger while a kind cousin allowed me to get his MGA then his Healey 3000 sideways on the Eastern Avenue. I'd give nearly anything to have my Mk2 Midget back but every time I get in my MGF I enjoy the drive and my non-MG friends can't believe how cheap these great little cars are. Some how I think the earlier and simpler models are the best and the MGF (and TF) are also a bit of British motoring history as they are the last British sports car produced for the masses.

Richard

A really evocative post, Richard. :yesnod: Brings back all sorts of happy memories of sports car experiences for me too.

As for fairness in the competition, well if it was completely fair and even to all, it would be a World's first!

We are all biased in one way or another,and we all suffer at the altar of favouritism, but the secret is not to let life's up and downs get to you. Enjoy what you can; suffer quietly what you must. :hugs:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Blow-in, Matthews

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157273

So, this weekend we took a few of our cars out on track (Blyton Park - review to follow shortly, didn't take the MGF, don't worry!), including the SLK. You may have seen the video of it going round the bend:

But how does she stack up, on the road?

Angela, our resident Captain Slow, took the SLK for a drive, to find out:

http://www.lemons365.co.uk/car-reviews-news-blogs/

As for it being a farce or not, thank you for your support guys, but I jumped into this after someone else had to drop out, knowing full well I was at a disadvantage and wouldn't win.. I'm doing it for the fun and for the charities!

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157277

oh, and did I mention I might have gotten a little lost on track :) :whistle: :oops: :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157409

Right, part 1 of our track day blog is up.. features a nice little video of the FTO doing a lap of Blyton Park :) I didn't take my car, but I did get to drive the FTO round, and I must admit, I was impressed.. Alex put some sticky tyres on it and it clung to the track like you wouldnt believe... he overtook that Lotus Exige on the next lap.. not bad for a 20 year old FTO!

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 1 month ago #157444

The final review in the Club Le Mons review series is in.. Simon took the Honda S2000 out for a spin and it nearly took him out, for a spin. See what I did there?

Needless to say, it wasn't quite what he expected..

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 4 weeks ago #157622

Anyone in the Surrey/Sussex/Kent area, or close by enough to be interested in this?

Basically we're getting involved in the Biggin Hill Festival of Flight this year, which is commemorating 75 years since the Battle of Britain. We're organizing a car run, rally, convoy, drive, cruise, call-it-what-you-want, from Brooklands/Mercedes Benz World to the air show. This is happening on Saturday 13th of June, so appreciate some people may be at Le Mans :)

We'll start under Concorde and then make our way through Surrey, Sussex and Kent to Biggin Hill via a number of WW2 historical locations. When we get to BH we'll drive by the capacity 18,000 crowd and then park up in the arena for the rest of the afternoon, where we can show off our lovely, lovely motors.

Its a pay thing, as we're raising money for 4 charities - the RAF Benevolent Fund, KSS Air Ambulance, Make a Wish and Brooklands museum - and prices start at £75 if you want to be on the run. We've got the new GTR Nismo confirmed, a nice Cobra, and have had a 1931 Rolls Royce, F40 and a 2008 LR Defender apply, so it's going to be an interesting mix! There's a static display option too, which is cheaper.

There's a limit of 75 cars, so they are going to be slightly picky about who gets in, but the earlier the better, I would say!

If you're interested details are on the website at:

]www.theroundelrun.com

The Le Mons 365 Challenge - Featuring the MGF! 9 years 3 weeks ago #157634

Whilst I wish you luck it's obviously not for the ordinary drivers like myself. The more read about the activies the more I realise I live in a completely different world.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT