Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194514

Is there any interest in running pscan on one of these devices?

I have a Pinebook Pro and it's actually a really good laptop that's also really cheap.
The Pinetab looks like it could be quite good.
The Raspberry Pi4 could be (just like previous Pis) a basis for a carputer.

In fact those of you who want pscan on a tablet or phone can already do this with a Pi. Basically you have to learn to run an X Server on a tablet and export the screen from the Pi, but it's not that hard and will work on Android and Apple devices already.

A 64 bit ARM Linux release would be quite easy to do, but if no one is interested.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194517

The Pinetab (or any other tablet really) would be nice because I've always found using a laptop in the car a bit awkward. Mainly because mine is an old laptop and the battery doesn't hold charge for long so I have to run an extension lead to power it!
Robin ;)

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194518

The battery life on the Pinebook Pro is amazing. It must be something to do with having an ARM processor instead of Intel.

It's okay for web and email, and you can just about watch youtube videos on it.

I did try to view photos from a DSLR camera in raw format on it and that was utterly hopeless though.

It would be great to support Chomebooks as well but at the moment there is a bug which means that Linux apps cannot talk to the type of chip that's in a pscan interface.

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194565

To be honest I would just be happy to be able to run it on one of my android tablets.
Much as I'd love to know more about things like the Raspberry Pi I don't have time to do so.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194576

I'm sure that lots of people would love Android support, but it's hard for me to do.

pscan has an awful lot of code in it now, and so changing programming languages or the development environment is basically impossible.

The environment that I use supports Windows and X11 out of the box and Cocoa is under development.

For Android I would have to redesign the user interface and widget library, which would be a lot of work. My current view is that my limited time is better spent working on car features that are missing as old laptops are cheap, but finding diagnostic tools that work on MG Rover [insert here] ECUs are not. One possibility is Linux ARM code that works on Android but through an X11 app (which are freely available), but so far I couldn't get it to work.

iphones and iPads are basically a nightmare to write code for unless you are well invested in the Apple eco system which I am not.

64 bit ARM linux is easy. I could probably do it in a couple of hours.

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194594

I'm sure that lots of people would love Android support, but it's hard for me to do.

pscan has an awful lot of code in it now, and so changing programming languages or the development environment is basically impossible.

The environment that I use supports Windows and X11 out of the box and Cocoa is under development.

For Android I would have to redesign the user interface and widget library, which would be a lot of work. My current view is that my limited time is better spent working on car features that are missing as old laptops are cheap, but finding diagnostic tools that work on MG Rover [insert here] ECUs are not. One possibility is Linux ARM code that works on Android but through an X11 app (which are freely available), but so far I couldn't get it to work.

iphones and iPads are basically a nightmare to write code for unless you are well invested in the Apple eco system which I am not.

64 bit ARM linux is easy. I could probably do it in a couple of hours.

A Linux version would be good, stops the hiccups caused by windows,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by NigelOBB.

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194595

There are already three Linux versions available:-

x86 32 bit
x86 64 bit
ARM 32 bit (as in Raspberry Pi).

The x86 ones will work on an old Laptop running something like Debian or Ubuntu (I recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu, but I think we have customers already using other distros).

I don't quite understand why more people don't try the Linux version.

What I can see from support requests is that the Linux version just never seems to have a problem. No hassles with antivirus (Windows), no hassles with major updates that change everything (Mac OS), cheap hardware. I have even had it working on a tiny ASUS EEE PC 701 which is small enough to keep in the car glovebox.

A workshop is a brutal environment for laptops, it's so easy to drop a laptop when you're working on a car. I would have thought that an old Dell D620/D630 running linux would be ideal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon-Mini

64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194596

yes . . fully agree.
grab a 'pre-loved' laptop - install LUbuntu on it - its easier than installing Windowz.
PScan just works well on this little ol'laptop.
You really don't need to be a linux nerd, just a brief bit of re-adjustment.
For you apple folk its probaly less of a transition.

No I'm not a PC wizard - a friend pointed me to this some years ago - never looked back.

Re:64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194598

There are already three Linux versions available:-

x86 32 bit
x86 64 bit
ARM 32 bit (as in Raspberry Pi).

The x86 ones will work on an old Laptop running something like Debian or Ubuntu (I recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu, but I think we have customers already using other distros).

I don't quite understand why more people don't try the Linux version.

What I can see from support requests is that the Linux version just never seems to have a problem. No hassles with antivirus (Windows), no hassles with major updates that change everything (Mac OS), cheap hardware. I have even had it working on a tiny ASUS EEE PC 701 which is small enough to keep in the car glovebox.

A workshop is a brutal environment for laptops, it's so easy to drop a laptop when you're working on a car. I would have thought that an old Dell D620/D630 running linux would be ideal.

My thought exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon-Mini

Re:64 bit ARM, Raspberry Pi4, Pinebook, PineTab etc? 3 years 5 months ago #194631

Here it is running on the Pinebook Pro.
The same download should also work with a Raspberry Pi running Pi OS 64 bit, but I don't have one to try it out.

Download from here http://pscan.uk/install/linux.html

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT