Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

2005 MGTF Front Wheel Arch Corrosion 4 months 19 hours ago #205285

Hopefully attached are some before and after pics of front offside wheel and wheel arch liner removed to reveal, amongst other things; some (mild?) corrosion and the very nasty dirt collector area/rotting metal at the bottom rear of the wheel arch.
I've wire brushed off the loose rust, several coats of Bilt Hamber Hydrate 8o and then Bilt Hamber epoxy resin.

Ready now to do the same for the nearside front.

Two questions that I'd be grateful for comments/advice:

1) Should I be doing more (or less!) thorough treatment or do things differently for the nearside wheel compared to be what can be seen I've done for the offside front wheel?

2) The nearside front wheel arch has the metal strap the takes the lower wheel arch liner fastening completely rotted away. Is there a recommended way of making a replacement way of fastening without taking to welder for replacement metal strap?

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2005 MGTF Front Wheel Arch Corrosion 4 months 18 hours ago #205286

It’s a very well known problem with the TF and crops up on a regular basis on this forum. Here is the long term solution; https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/MGF-and-MGTF-front-inner-sill-repair-sections
In the meantime carry on as you are to stop the rust spreading. Treat the whole are to a cavity wax coating. In another recent thread there is a link to the extrusion that helps to stop muck finding its way between arch and liner. The sills are a known rust problem both front and rear, check all the drain holes are clear and spray cavity wax into the void. There’s an access plug at the rear end of the sills.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freelancer

2005 MGTF Front Wheel Arch Corrosion 3 months 4 weeks ago #205294

Access to the sill is (arguably) easier if you remove (Carefully!!) the side air intake:

The view forward is as below:

I found that I could get the wand of a spraying kit all the way up to the far (front) end of the sill from this air-vent hole. You can also see the area over the rear wheel arch metal:

If I were looking for another TF, I would ask a buyer if I could remove these vents (at my risk: break it & I buy the replacement plastic), so that I could make a proper check for rust/previous anti-rust Waxoyl or Lanoguard or whatever.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pharg55, freelancer

2005 MGTF Front Wheel Arch Corrosion 3 months 3 weeks ago #205329

Pretty sure there is supposed to be a plastic/rubber bung for the hole in either end of the sill, hoping you'd just already taken yours off for access? I used those holes in conjunction with a flexible applicator to coat the inside of my sills with Dynax S50. Levering out the vents is a trick I didn't know gave further access, so I shall be doing that as well if we get a spell of better weather soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freelancer

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT