Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Under bracing plate (approx. 22 bolts) 4 months 2 weeks ago #205152

As I gently explore corrosion underneath my re-acqired 2005 135 MGTF, wondered if there was any advice on removal of bracing plate under the centre of the car. ...lots of bolts, is it 22 on the TF what type/size? Are there stainless replacement kits? any advice gratefully received. Tks

Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Under bracing plate (approx. 22 bolts) 4 months 2 weeks ago #205153

I had to remove that panel on my previous TF earlier in the year to replace the main front to rear brake pipe. I don't recall any particular issues with its removal other than making sure there was something underneath to support it when undoing the last bolts.
As with any small bolts on cars of this age its best to spray a bit of penetrating fluid on them first where able. Undo them slowly. If they are tight whilst undoing them spray more penetrating oil on the expossed threads and give them a few turns in the opposite direction as this helps free them. From what I remember a few of the bolts needed a bit of looking for though most are obvious. Mine were good to be reused after I'd wiped and applied a bit of oil to the threads but it certainly wouldn't do any harm to replace them with nice shiny stainless ones.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: freelancer

Under bracing plate (approx. 22 bolts) 4 months 2 weeks ago #205156

I took out the 22 bolts from the belly pled the underfloor pipes with stainlate, used Plusgas as penetrant , and used a six sided one was very tight and rusty. painted plate both sides with POR15 ran a tap through the captive threads , copper grease on the return bolts I used stainless steel dome headed socket bolts ,because I had them in stock. replaced the under floor pipes with stainless, including brackets & bolts.

Under bracing plate (approx. 22 bolts) 4 months 2 weeks ago #205157

The bolts are M8x16.

On our two 1995 Fs, two of the holes on the plate are actually slotted, so you can loose the two bolts and slide the plate away from the bolts. I forget if it is the outer two on the front or back of the plate. So, just loose those two bolts and remove the rest, hold the plate up and then slide it away from the two bolts, makes it easy to remove and reinstall the plate.
Mark
95 MGF

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT