Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Loctite 242, rear upper ball joint, and slogging spanner 4 months 3 weeks ago #205040

Does anyone know the decomposition temperature for Loctite 242? I'm trying to renew the rear suspension upper ball joint. I have achieved this on one side but this second one is proving more resilient.
I have gently heated the hub around the ball joint to about 110 deg C as determined with an I/R temperature gun (that worked ok on the first side but not this one).
The alternative would seem to be a "slogging" spanner.
Anyone tried one of these on this job and had any success?
Any help offered will be greatly received. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Loctite 242, rear upper ball joint, and slogging spanner 4 months 3 weeks ago #205041

Are flogging spanners compatible with our cars,I'd be concerned about knocking the suspension out of the car. the last time i saw flogging/slogging spanners used was on a mill engine where the last eighth turn was required on a five inch diameter nut. Certainly I've given a ring spanner a clout just to help a nut on its way but I'm a great believer in foot pounds. Foot pounds feed information back, like "I'm beginning to capitulate, my threads are stripping, I'm sheering ; Oh I have", the only feedback a slogged would give is when a piece brakes off & skitters across the floor. A torque multiplier, if one could be cadged might serve better but each to their own. On the Loctite front, a dull red might be appropriate as some of the formulations with this stuff is remarkable.
M

Loctite 242, rear upper ball joint, and slogging spanner 4 months 3 weeks ago #205044

According to the manufacturer 250C https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/applications/all-applications/how-to/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker.html#:~:text=The%20process%20of%20knowing%20how,the%20bolt%20can%20be%20unthreaded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delbourt

Loctite 242, rear upper ball joint, and slogging spanner 4 months 3 weeks ago #205048

Yes, thank you for the information. Eventually I also found that relevant piece of information. I obtained a new Gaz cartridge for the blow lamp and with a fiercer flame heated the casting more rapidly to about 150 deg C according to the I/R temperature indication and then used a longer lever than before. Success! Job done. Now onto the next one!

Loctite 242, rear upper ball joint, and slogging spanner 4 months 3 weeks ago #205051

“Success! Job done” is the phrase we are all looking for.
Great.
M

Loctite 242, rear upper ball joint, and slogging spanner 4 months 2 weeks ago #205133

The last balljoint that I did many years ago I used a pair of Stillsons to remove the ball joint and the correct socket for re- installation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT