Sign In   Register

Topic

Fan Timing 5 months 6 days ago #204932

Have a look through the Goodwood Revival videos, there is a series on BRM & the V16, it really has a spine tingling howl when the power band comes in & with it being stoked by that supercharger you get a sound that is not easily forgotten.
You mentioned the 65/66 formula change when a lot of the teams were wrong footed. The BRM V8 had been a cracking engine & although in retrospect a daft idea, flatten it out & stacking two to form an H16 was one way of circumventing a complete redesign.
Great concept, brilliant execution but too heavy & with inadequate funds to develop it further, too unreliable. It only won one race & that was in a Lotus.
It lives again & in BRM’s home town of Bourn in Lincolnshire. A father & son team have resurrected the company, if you’re fed up of your MG & have a lot of money, they will build you a continuation vehicle.
BRM did the lot, they designed & built everything they could engine, gearbox, suspension, bodywork only wheels, tyres & brake callipers were bought in.
I think I’m correct in that, it was a long time ago & I’ve a lot of other things to remember.
It’s a great story & it’ll never be repeated, a company of it’s time as we’re the drivers. There used to be a classic car rally around the north of England, Scotland & the islands, I found myself on a ferry surrounded by all the (surviving) great drivers. Leaning against the ship’s rail talking to Jack Brabham was just extraordinary.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Fan Timing 5 months 6 days ago #204937

Yeah they were a relatively common sight back in the day, over the years I had a few and even more of the engines that I used in Land Rovers.
The P76 had a poor reputation due to sloppy assembly, but once everything had fallen off once and had been screwed back on properly they were good!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Fan Timing 5 months 6 days ago #204938

I’ve just reread your earlier post where you tell us you have a 4.4ltr P76 engine waiting to go into a TR7.
I’m just guessing that it’ll not be laden down with weighty accessories nor carry a spare wheel with all the trappings, so once finished & you give it some beans your internal organs are going to notice. I hope Australian underwear is robust (daft comment, it’ll be a requirement), I’d be thinking about nomex underpants & a five point harness on your arse hole.
M

Fan Timing 5 months 5 days ago #204939

So if I was to tell you that I intend to increase its capacity to just this side of 6.0 litres and feed it via a cross ram manifold with 4 2 barrel throttle bodies, do you think that perhaps I won’t need to worry to much about weight?
I’ve got all the good gear just waiting to go in, Willwood brakes, Koni shocks, all sorts of good stuff, still need some good heads and a suitable diff.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Fan Timing 5 months 5 days ago #204943

Crumbs with that lot plonked not far from your nackers you’ll be well advised to have a heavy duty cricket box.
There’s a lot of weight being tucked around the engine so that’s not your number one concern. I’m glad you’ve taken stopping it into consideration & shock absorbers to prevent it from hopping about the place, I can see the diff’ would be a problem, maybe you need to look at one from a Challenger tank, that’ll cope with the torque. Consider a prop shaft that won’t screw up like a window cleaners wash leather, that would be a good idea.
The body shell should be OK having lived out there on salt free roads but will the structure handle all that grunt, a couple of scaff poles front to back maybe. A UK car with our tradition of ruinous rust would probably be ripped in two, even with scaff poles, with you sat on the road in between the dug in rear & the front, with engine off down the road.
I wouldn’t be able to build let alone use something like that, UK roads would wreck it in a few minutes plus there are few places to allow those wonderful throttle body butterflies to flutter.
Keep at it mate.
M

Fan Timing 5 months 5 days ago #204944

Sorry Rooky, we’ve not exactly addressed your problem having spent too long wandering down memory lane.
How are you going on with the fan problem, you’ve probably got it sorted whilst out correspondent from the Antipodes had been frightening the pants of me.
I’ve driven some stuff with big engines but the bodywork has been commensurate, mind you a Bobtail tractor unit can give you a surprising amount of up-n-off, until you need to corner.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: RookyMGF

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Fan Timing 5 months 5 days ago #204945

Haven't had a spare minute to look at the F just yet. Should find a spare few moments at the weekend

Fan Timing 5 months 4 days ago #204946

Since this thread has gone off topic in one direction I will take it into another one. In the USA a small group of MGB owners had a plan. One of them had a 5 litre MGB, no it’s not a RoverV8 but a Buick V8. Now the Buick 300 is effectively a cast iron Rover V8 and the 4.6 Rover cylinder heads are a perfect fit. These engines can be stroked to 5.7 litres with standard Buick parts.
If you want a short read;
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/Roadmaster.htm
A small group of these deviants (their own description) built an almost 7.5 litre MGB, this engine weighs more than 50kgs less than the MGC engine.
If you are bored for the whole evening; http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,166

Last edit: Post by MGB281.

Fan Timing 5 months 4 days ago #204947

That needs considering over a period of time & in a dark, quiet place !

Fan Timing 5 months 3 days ago #204948

I have never checked to see if the stroke of the P76 engine is the same as the Big Block Buick but there’s a possibility that used a combination of Buick parts to get that capacity. For those interested here is another link, https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-engine-swaps-forum.40/comprehensive-300-buick-build-thread.4463289/
This will be the last that I will post on this subject

Fan Timing 2 weeks 6 days ago #206423

Where is the engine bay temp sensor located?
The engine bay fan is on all the time but is turning off with the ignition now.

Fan Timing 2 weeks 6 days ago #206424

I presume as your profile picture shows an F , the sensor is under the boot on the R/H/S òf the engine bay apperture , near the boot hinge , which is the engine bay temperature sensor .

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT