Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Door checkstrap loose and will not keep driver’s door open 1 year 3 weeks ago #201592

The door stay. (Checkstrap), on the driver door is loose. The fitting is solid on the door, but the part that disappears.into the door pillar is very loose and can be moved around.
There doesn’t seem to be any easy way into the pillar and I do not know how it should be mounted, welded or bolted.
Any suggestions please.
This is a 2004 mg tf 135
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Door checkstrap loose and will not keep driver’s door open 1 year 3 weeks ago #201599

I could only find one other post on this but it's useless telling you as no answers were given, I suspect it's a closed box section unless someone's had a wing off and can say different.
Off the top of my head, have a look to see if you can figure out how much of a flange is inside the box section, evidence of spot welds, mirror, endoscope? whatever. If there is enough flange inside you could then try drilling thru the A post and the flange behind and pop riveting it (not weedy rivets) back into place. You will have to hold the plate somehow whilst you drill thru, perhaps a molegrip or similar will do the job? This will no doubt involve releasing the check strap from the door, if you do put some stiff wire thru the hole in the check strap mounting WHATEVER you do don't allow the possibility of it falling into the box section. It may also be possible to weld it, I know diddly squat about welding but I'm sure it will bugger the paint on the A post.
Anyone get any info re box section or a better idea?

Door checkstrap loose and will not keep driver’s door open 1 year 3 weeks ago #201600

Thanks very much for your input, it sounds like the fitting was welded originally, I will ry to get some light in
there to hopefully see what’s what.

I will report back,

I have only just bought this car, there is very little wrong with it except for this, and a saggy roof lining on the hardtop………but that’s another story………

Thanks again

Door checkstrap loose and will not keep driver’s door open 1 year 3 weeks ago #201606

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT