Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Starter solenoid clicking 1 year 2 months ago #201073

Hello chaps - been a while, but that's good because nothing has gone wrong :woohoo:

The starter has been gradually getting worse - turn the key and I just get a click.

Then it will engage properly and start 2nd or occasionally 3rd time.

My 75 needed a starter motor repair kit for this... is there one for the TF?

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Starter solenoid clicking 1 year 2 months ago #201077

You could have a look at the 375 faston connector (big lucar) on the starter, they get grotted up causing symptoms similar to those you described. If you have a root down between the bulkhead & engine, sort of under the charcoal canister & give the bugger a tweek next time it plays up & obviously if it proved to be that change it. In actual fact change it as a matter of course, it’ll not make matters worse, unless you cock it up & as most folk on here are competent ++ you’ll be fine. M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

Starter solenoid clicking 1 year 2 months ago #201078

...most folk on here are competent...

I'm not :oops:

So when you say change the connector, do you mean a bit of loom, or actually cut the connector off and get a replacement from somewhere (where?)

Cheers

Starter solenoid clicking 1 year 2 months ago #201079

I will not accept the perceived incompetence you claim, by your own admission you’ve not been on for a bit because all the things you attended to on previous visits are functioning correctly & have kept you away.
I’m certain you will be familiar with the 1/4” “lucar” connector, ubiquitous to all cars with a Lucas lineage, the 375 is a larger version of the same thing. Standard crimp on 1/4s are usually red for thinner cable & blue for thicker, you may also come across yellow versions which take even dumpier wire which is capably of carrying more current than the connector will adequately take.
Thus the 375s are usually yellow indicating greater capacity, an auto factor will have these & I would recommend the fully insulated verity.
The Method.
Equip yourself with a GOOD pair of crimping pliers, safely lift the rear of the car, scrabble about underneath until you locate the bastard thing, cut the miscreant piece off, strip back a suitable length of insulation & with your good pair of crimping pliers affix the replacement. The rest you know.
Do report back, all too often advise is given based on experience, a report either way reenforces, or demolishes that experience. Most information on here is empirical as no Haynes manual exist for our cars & even though we have an excellent library on the site, a quick question on here, if answered accurately can save hours. M

Starter solenoid clicking 1 year 2 months ago #201080

Thanks. Well, I'm technically not too bad, but getting on a bit now, so the fingers shake and the eyes blur... yes I know thos connector types.

I have my Rover 75 in bits at the moment, so the little TF may have to wait a while, but what you say makes sense.

I will report back eventually!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT