Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196035

back story: on day one I had an engine miss for 20 seconds then cleared, day 2, miss fired for about 10 minutes then cleared, day 3 miss didn't clear.  replaced coil paks, plugs and leads. No miss for about 5klm then back to missing. Pscan said #2 solenoid in the Hydraulic cam control failed, replaced the unit, car ran for 6klm then back to miss. Did the plug lead off test, #1 cylinder problem.  Compression test gives #1 at 20lbs and all others at 160lbs.  Put a camera down the spark plug hole and 1 valve just hanging open. Replaced cam sensor, car drives OK for 5 klm then back to miss.  Compression test now has all cylinders at 175lbs EXCEPT #3, number1 is OK!  Cam angle sensor replaced, car drives until miss comes back 4klm into drive.  Now #2 has no compression  and ALL other cylinders at 175lbs! I am now waiting for an O2 sensor and mail to Australia is a bit slow at the moment.  Any suggestions?  And to keep with the level of frustration, the laptop with the Pscan diagnostic software has died too.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196036

The car is an MGTF 160, year 2002 with 72000klm. I missed that bit in the above story..

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196037

Where abouts in Oz are you?
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196038

Cleveland area, (Thornlands) QLD

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196039

Have you checked the integrity of the cabling TO the coil packs?

Compression test results do not look right and may well be a red herring. I have no idea whether you are using the cheapo kit or the real McKoy. I assume that you took out the fuse to the fuel pump and did the test by turning over the starter. As you probably know, the meter reads the highest reading whilst the engine is turned over. As the spark plugs are situated well down in the head, just make sure no air leakage between the head and the meter.

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196042

As I'm in Burwood Melbourne, it'd be difficult to help directly being @ 1800 km away!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196044

Hi Julin, I have not checked the wire to the coil pals.  I didn't pull the fuse to the petrol pump on the 1st test but the fuel spray reminded me very quickly.  I use a professional compression tester that screws into the spark-plug hole.  and could see one valve just open on each test.  I did check timing to make sure that the motor was supposed to have no valve open.Spooky.

strange miss-firing 2 years 10 months ago #196047

Sounds like several problems there.
How long have you owned the car?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT