Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196006

Recently my MGF has started to become difficult to locate gears.,particularly third gear.When I checked the clutch reservoir it was at the minimum level, so I topped it up, but the symptoms still persists. Could worn gear cables be the reason? Curious to hear if anyone else has encountered this and how they resolved it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196007

You can easily adjust the cables from under the rear of the car, they are fitted with rose joint fittings. Try adjusting just one first and if you can't fix the problem return it to its original position and try the other.
Another possible cause could be the shaft that operates the clutch, it can seeze up, try using some oil on the entry point while pressing the clutch several times.
Hope this helps.

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196008

Cheers Glocs… appreciate the advice!
Thank you

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196009

The most likely cause is that the clutch arm is starting seize putting strain on the slave cylinder and possible loss of fluid through the seals.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196014

Many thanks for the advice…time to get the car up on the ramps I think! Seems to concur with the previous reply.

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196019

Hi . I would be looking at the clutch fluid getting low as to where the problem is . Because of the position of the clutch slave in relation to the master cylinder and the long pipe run , If the slave cylinder has been leaking , the system may have air in it . Might be time for a new slave cylinder kit and the same goes for the master cylinder . Just be aware the system can be a proper bitch to bleed unless you have a pressure bleeder as air can get stuck in the pipe run from front to back . I'm not trying to put you off but it can be a problem .    
John.

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196020

Cheers John… appreciate the advice.

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196021

When I bled my clutch , I found that air got stuck in the end of the master cylinder which if you tapped the end of the cylinder and had an assistant press the pedal , cracking the nut at the end of the cylinder released it .

‘Notchy ‘ gearbox 2 years 10 months ago #196022

Mine was similar after very low miles over the covid lock down.
There was some loss of fluid and some dampness around the slave cylinder.
The pedal was right down on the floor.  Some pumping the pedal helped, but very short term.
A new slave cylinder helped, but there was some sticking of the pedal and not returning to 'full up'.
After using daily for a few days it returned to full pedal again.
I assume that the clutch shaft was being a bit sticky until being used again.

All good now, even finding reverse.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT