Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195856

I am ready to put a replacement gearbox into my Tf and have a new set of drive shaft seals. I carefully removed the smaller seal and found that it had been replaced but in the process, the damage has occurred to the outside edge. I wondered if it was advisable to smear a light lick of silicon RTV sealant around the affected area? I saw Triple QX white silicone Rtv Sealant at euro car parts and wondered if it would be appropriate? 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195861

Good question. Is it possible to post a photo?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195869

Yes should have thought of that from the start. The old seal came out ok and did not have any compound around it but I can't vouch for it it leaked at all
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photos

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195877

A new seal is what - £10 each. If a seal is damaged my feeling would be to purchase a new one. In fact, I would be tempted to replace both seals whilst in bits to save any further hassle downstream.....

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195878

I have two new seals but am concerned about the mating face where the damage is. I have a second-hand gearbox to fit due to casing damage and thought it best to replace the seals. However, as I removed the smaller seal I found that when it must have been replaced before some damage had been caused. I don't know any of the history of the replacement box and the seal didn't have any sealant around it. Maybe I'm being over cautious but wondered if it might lead to an ongoing leak if I do nothing but fit new seal.

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195885

If the damage is to the casing (which seems to be the case), then fitting a new seal makes no difference. I would then use a sealant (no idea if the one you suggest will work).
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevtherevs

Drive shaft seal sealant 2 years 10 months ago #195892

Yes as it seems to be on the front face I have used a smear of sealant, I'm hoping since it is to the top of the seal area it won't be too problematic

Drive shaft seal sealant 9 months 1 week ago #203143

When it comes to driving shaft seal replacement, it's always good to ensure a proper seal to prevent any leaks or issues down the road. While I understand your concern about the damaged edge, using a light lick of silicon RTV sealant could potentially help create a better seal and prevent any potential leaks.
As for the Triple QX white silicone Rtv Sealant, it could be worth considering. However, it's important to double-check if it's compatible with the specific material of your drive shaft seals. It's always a good idea to consult the manufacturer's recommendations or seek advice from experienced mechanics or enthusiasts who have dealt with similar situations.
If you're in need of fasteners or any other parts for your car projects, you should definitely check out online stores that specialize in fasteners. They offer a wide range of options, and it can be a convenient way to find exactly what you need.

Last edit: Post by MarionHartman.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT