Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Alloy wheels & tyres 3 years 1 day ago #195697

I have a 2004 1.8 MGTF. It has some 16 inch six spoke MG alloys that need refurbishing or replacing and so was looking at alternatives.

I noticed it has 195/45/R16 tyres on the front and 215/40/R16 tyres on the back.

A couple of questions to help me

1. Is it normal for MGTF to have different tyre sizes front and back? I don’t remember my previous MGTF having different sizes (but I never needed to change them so they may have done).

2. Are the alloys the actual same size?

3. Could I replace them or use 16 inch MGR/S alloy wheels with a current tyre profile of 205/50R16 or is that unwise? Can the MGTF tyres fit on those alloys?

4. If I refurb them, does anyone know a ballpark cost for doing that?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me to help me make the right decisions.
Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Alloy wheels & tyres 3 years 1 day ago #195700

Fairly straightforward, this:
1. Yes, it is completely normal for the TF to have wider tyres at the back than the front.  Those are the correct sizes for 16" wheels.  The MGF tends to have the same size all round. (mod note :- MGF normally have wider rear.)
2.  Yes, all 4 wheels are the same size, 7 inches (7J), if memory serves.
3. Be very careful when thinking about changing the wheels.  The MGF and TF use a different PCD from most cars (4 x 95.25).  I found out to my cost that wheels for a ZS, which looked identical, did not fit!
4.  I hear stories of people getting them done for £35 per wheel but expect to pay at least double that in Billericay!

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Re:Alloy wheels & tyres 3 years 23 hours ago #195701

I have a 2004 1.8 MGTF. It has some 16 inch six spoke MG alloys that need refurbishing or replacing and so was looking at alternatives.

I noticed it has 195/45/R16 tyres on the front and 215/40/R16 tyres on the back.

1. Is it normal for MGTF to have different tyre sizes front and back? I don’t remember my previous MGTF having different sizes (but I never needed to change them so they may have done).

3. Could I replace them or use 16 inch MGR/S alloy wheels with a current tyre profile of 205/50R16 or is that unwise? Can the MGTF tyres fit on those alloys?

Colin

Fairly straightforward, this:
1. Yes, it is completely normal for the TF to have wider tyres at the back than the front.  Those are the correct sizes for 16" wheels.  The MGF tends to have the same size all round.
2.  Yes, all 4 wheels are the same size, 7 inches (7J), if memory serves.
3. Be very careful when thinking about changing the wheels.  The MGF and TF use a different PCD from most cars (4 x 95.25).  I found out to my cost that wheels for a ZS, which looked identical, did not fit!
4.  I hear stories of people getting them done for £35 per wheel but expect to pay at least double that in Billericay!

Really helpful - thank you. Sounds like I either need to get them refurbished or another set of MGTF wheels and avoid the MG type R wheels I have seen then! Thank you for saving me from an error. I knew there would be helpful advice here on the forum. Thank you.

Re:Alloy wheels & tyres 3 years 21 hours ago #195704

The MGF/TF uses the old Triumph herald stud PCD, not many cars use this the Triumph TR7/8 some Lotus models and bugger all else so don't waste your time trying to find wheels from other cars that will fit.
That leaves you with MGF/TF and some Lotus wheels or getting some made.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Re:Re:Alloy wheels & tyres 3 years 20 hours ago #195705

The MGF/TF uses the old Triumph herald stud PCD, not many cars use this the Triumph TR7/8 some Lotus models and bugger all else so don't waste your time trying to find wheels from other cars that will fit.
That leaves you with MGF/TF and some Lotus wheels or getting some made.

So helpful. Thank you. I’ve asked for a price for refurbishing them from a couple of local companies so we will see what that comes out like. I’ll keep an eye for MGTF ones too. Thanks for saving me from buying what won’t work.

Re:Alloy wheels & tyres 2 years 11 months ago #195723

The MGF/TF uses the old Triumph herald stud PCD, ...

To be precise it is 3 and 3/4 inches which is the old UK standard for mid sized cars.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Alloy wheels & tyres 2 years 10 months ago #196335

Colin

So an update. I managed to find a set of 4 x 16 inch alloys advertised on Facebook forum group and then purchased 4 new TOYO tyres. Really pleased with the look and a great improvement on the paint flakes ones. Holds the road like it’s on rails.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT