Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Silencer 3 years 3 days ago #195655

I’m new to the group and would love some advice on a new rear silencer. I have just purchased an 04 1.8 TF 135 that I purchased knowing a little blow on the exhaust. Turns out it is on the joint weld on the silencer that joins it to the CAT.  I was planning to replace it myself as the job looks relatively easy ( although I note from some online accounts that the bolts can be stubborn). I didn’t want to spend silly money on a replacement and have seen one standard exhaust with bolts and gasket for £130 online and a stainless steel for £199 on eBay. As the current car exhaust sound has a sensible roar (even without the leak!) I would like something similar but no idea what the current exhaust type is). I was planning a standard exhaust but my brother (who also has a TF) said go for a sports exhaust.  I don’t want anything too noisy to upset neighbours & I’m in my 50s and don't intend to pimp my ride! Some online accounts suggest Toyosport at £135 but their website says out of stock. Does anyone have any advice on what silencer to purchase & where is the best place to purchase one. 
Many thanks for any thoughts you might have. 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Silencer 3 years 3 days ago #195658

If you buy one it may as well be stainless as the price difference is worth the long life, if its not your daily drive then you are more likely to get condensation in the internal of the exhaust box and tend to rot so stainless is a good call, I have a stainless from ebay, its been on 10 years or so without issue, they are pretty much a copy of the oem box but in stainless, slightly more noise but much lower tone so more rumble, not annoying to anyone, the fit can be a little tricky, be prepared to bend the brackets slightly but otherwise they are fine well mine was.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: ColinT

Re:Silencer 3 years 2 days ago #195669

If you buy one it may as well be stainless as the price difference is worth the long life, if its not your daily drive then you are more likely to get condensation in the internal of the exhaust box and tend to rot so stainless is a good call, I have a stainless from ebay, its been on 10 years or so without issue, they are pretty much a copy of the oem box but in stainless, slightly more noise but much lower tone so more rumble, not annoying to anyone, the fit can be a little tricky, be prepared to bend the brackets slightly but otherwise they are fine well mine was.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Really helpful. Thank you. I will order one of those from eBay especially as you’ve found it lasts so well. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Silencer 3 years 2 days ago #195673

Hi and welcome to the forum

I have a Toyo that I got cheap from them as a second due to one of the brackets being wrong so I adapted the way I fitted it.

Good luck with your search.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ColinT

Re:Re:Silencer 3 years 1 day ago #195689

Hi and welcome to the forum

I have a Toyo that I got cheap from them as a second due to one of the brackets being wrong so I adapted the way I fitted it.

Good luck with your search.

James

Thanks James for the welcome and advice.
I have ordered a stainless steel one made by Gravity. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Colin

The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Re:Re:Silencer 3 years 1 day ago #195695

Let us know what it's like when you get it fitted. Pics are compulsory,  lol! 
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:Re:Re:Silencer 3 years 1 day ago #195699

Let us know what it's like when you get it fitted. Pics are compulsory,  lol! 

I will do. Let’s hope it doesn’t turn into a scary movie of stubborn bolts and new brackets that don’t fit! I’ll post some pics and let you know if it sounds ok too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT