Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mud flaps/front sill repair 3 years 3 days ago #195529

Hi, after collecting a small dent on my near side wing, I removed the mud flaps to gain access to push it out. Horror story here as the road crud had built up and rusted a hole into the return area. I decided from this to purchase a couple of repair panels from Mike Satur and send the car down to the local body shop. The bottom of the sills were good due to wax oil injection, just a shame I didn’t take off the flaps to clean every year. The near side sill front was rusted but not perforated, so decided to have this repaired as well. The sill closure panel had a small bracket for screwing the arch liner to, but this had also gone. 
The car comes back tomorrow, so I will update then.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by davidgv1. Reason: Added pictures

Mud flaps/front sill repair 3 years 2 days ago #195533

Mud flaps is a misnomer should be mud traps, damned things are usually an afterthought in the design process and as such tend to trap the mud and muck, thereby promoting rust.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidgv1

Mud flaps/front sill repair 3 years 2 days ago #195535

So, picked up the car this morning and it looks a decent job. However, the body shop only used about the first 3 inch of the panel due to not being happy with the fit of the repair panel. The old closure panel was ground out and removed, and the new closure panel welded in. Everything treated, painted and wax oiled. No traces of the tin worm left in the sill.
will the crap traps go on?
don’t think so!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photos

Mud flaps/front sill repair 3 years 1 day ago #195538

How much €€€s?

Mud flaps/front sill repair 3 years 1 day ago #195539

Hi, pretty much a bone of contention here and a big decision.
I took the car to a few places for quotations, some turned up their noses due to the age of the car others were prepared to relish the opportunity.
so, 
One company, £2000.00 plus vat, including paint
Another company, £1800.00 plus vat, including paint
Another company, £720.00, less paint, Paint shop was £160.00
Fred in the shed £350.00 all in.  But the shed was dire and no paint booth.

The other decision was to scrap it as the car is probably worth £ 600.00-£1500.00 tops. However, had from new and just 51K miles on the clock, so decided to plumb for option 3. 
Some of you will say that the cost was not worth it, but to me the car is priceless, and while I can afford these set backs, I will keep it on the road.
The sills are still good, the closure panels have been renewed with thicker gauge metal and solid, and the paint job, down to the quarter panel is spot on.
so, I wonder what the next problem will be? Only time will tell.
By the way, the mud flaps will not go back on!

Mud flaps/front sill repair 3 years 5 hours ago #195544

Thank you for your detailed answer.
That's the right attitude!
Regards
Christof
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidgv1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT