Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #191940

Hi All
Lifted passenger carpet and found water soaked under. Had this before so went to the air intake snorkel on the bulkhead. Unbolted and pulled snorkel off. Previously only mastic around the edges. This time I have applied plenty of silicon sealant to the underside and sealed and bolted down. My car is a 2004 model and lived outdoors all its life. Just wondering if anyone has fabricated a ‘shelf’ under the bonnet/windscreen vents to direct water away from bulkhead shelf.
Brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #191943

To answer your question - no.

have you checked the damp membrane is in correctly in the passenger door as this can be a source of water when missing.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted missing word.

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #191946

Been out today for a drive. Rained during the trip but no water ingress. Guess the silicon seal has done the job.

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #191953

I think you need a lot of rain to get ingress. and if you are driving then most of the rain will pass over the car.
I have consistently had to empty my footwells out, even after re-sealing the snorkel, sealing up grommets in the bulkheads and replacing the membranes in the doors.
I finally got some progress when I replaced the Cantrail seals on the soft top frame that seal the side windows to the roof. Most of our cars will now be needing these replacing.
As my car is not garaged, I do have to keep an eye on the ingress of water.
A few weeks ago I opened the boot and found an inch of water in the bottom. I know it was not the rear light fittings as these had been sealed with sikoflex. I tested them anyway but still could not find the source. Came to the conclusion that the rain was that torrential (remember about 4 weeks ago we had 24 hours of really hard rain) it must have come in through the boot lid seal somewhere, but after drying it all out, its not happened again, so hopefully it must be a one off.

Sundance

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #191967

I'm with Sundance on this topic, same problem with my TF. I spent far too many hours adjusting the door glasses on both sides, replacing the A pillar seals; as well as the Cantrail seals, and resealed the snorkel.
I also had to replace the door vapour barrier as they were both missing completely, note that to ensure water does not get into the cabin it needs sticking on all round the perimeter and around the door inner skin access cut outs. The idea is to divert any condensation and water ingress back into the door cavity and out through the weep holes in the bottom of the door.
A problem using plastic film in cars kept outside is that water can condense on it in the right conditions, but at some point in the future I will try using a vapour barrier similar to the material that is used in construction instead of plastic.

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #191987

..................but at some point in the future I will try using a vapour barrier similar to the material that is used in construction instead of plastic.

DPM

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

TF water leak 4 years 5 months ago #192005

Thanks for all your comments. I will check the floor this week after heavy rain over the weekend in the West Country.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT