Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191569

This morning when I turned the key in the ingition, I got an alarm sounding blee-blah and two more red lights that didn't look familiar. When I turned the key further to start, nothing happened.

After trying three or four times, it was normal and it started. This happened each time I stopped and I was worrying that I wouldn't get home. Now it is back in the garage, I can't get it to start at all.

A friend suggested it is alarm related and I should change the battery in the fob. I have done this with no effect.

I bought the car second hand and don't have the owner's manual. I have never bothered to lock the car or put the alarm on as a thief would rip the hood and hotwire. The fob buttons are so worn that I can't tell which is which. Neither seems to lock the car.

Any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191573

Hi . The Lucas fob ( square ish in shape ) has the unlock button on the left and the Pectron fob ( oval in shape ) has the unlock on the right . I believe that both fobs need lock and unlock pressing alternately at least 8 times to re sync the system.
Do one fob and then the other.

John

Ps . There are replacement kits for both fobs on the Bay of E .

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: Aditional data for clarity.

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191577

I assume your left and right are with the fob hanging down from the ring and facing you?

I will try that.

However the car has started Ok with the spare key which doesn't have a fob

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191578

Well, starting the car with out a fob has me scratching my head ( probably the reason I'm bald ) :rant: This is a picture of the fob that you will have .
John
Attachments:

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191589

I have now tried this a couple of time and I am still getting the same symptoms.

I checked to see if pressing the buttons on the fob actually does lock or unlock the car and it doesn't.

This all points to a problem with the fob - presumably intermittent or how would I have used the car yesterday.

You said there are kits on ebay. can you point me to them. I have only found new cases without the electronics or secondhand ones

Thanks for taking the trouble to help me

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191590

Hi .
I think I may have caused a bit of confusion here as it was the new case kits I was on about . I believe some on the forum have fitted new micro switches to these fobs when the fobs give this type of problem but may be wrong . You had said that you don't lock the car but I'm certain that F's have passive immobilisation so I can't understand how you can get the car started without pressing the fob unlock button. Unless a previous owner has by passed the Imobiliser at some point .
I can't offer much more advice really . A Pscan connected to your car might be able to re sync the fobs to the Imobiliser . Forum member Talkingcars might be able to give you advice as he has an F and is a knowledgable guy .
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191596

Visit www.technozen-electronics.co.uk for fob info.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191598

I took the battery ( new) out of the fob again and cleaned it and the connections. Hey presto, normal service resumed.

I think you were right about the spare key. I probably had the fob in my pocket when I tried it. It doesn't work with the fob left in the house.

Thanks again..

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191600

If i buy a second hand fob to go with the spare key, will I be able to synch it to the car by pressing the buttons as you outlined in your first post?

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191602

Hi . I've just reread my post and I couldn't believe what a load of tosh I had sent . Firstly , if you buy a fob you will need to have it synced to the system with a Pscan or something similar ie Rover T4 system . My comment about resyncing when replacing batteries was wrong . Both lock and unlock buttons on the fob has to be pressed at least 8 times to re sync the system after replacement of the fob battery. Sorry for any confusion.
John

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191605

If i buy a second hand fob to go with the spare key, will I be able to synch it to the car by pressing the buttons as you outlined in your first post?

No it has to be paired to the alarm ECU using T4 or www.pscan.uk ,you can only re-sync paired fobs.

I can sync and re-sync Lucas fobs if you bring your car to me.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Trophy electronics playing up 4 years 7 months ago #191612

What part of the country are you. I am near Colchester.

If you are far away, could you do if I sent you the working fob as well?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT