Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191409

Hi all,
This might sound a bit of a basic question, but what holds the tail light cluster covers in place (in the boot)? I bought a pair to replace the missing ones in the TF that I just bought, and there aren't any retainers with them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191410

There are three hex nuts that hold each light fitting to the rear panel. They are easily unscrewed with an 8mm socket or spanner, unless they have the aftermarket covers fitted, than you will need deep 8mm socket to undo.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pharg55

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191413

Great!
Thanks very much Sundance, I thought that might be the answer, but I also thought there might be other retainers on the cover. Overthinking!

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191414

I've added these covers to both of our cars; great upgrade for protecting the light holder from items in the boot hitting it.

I left the original nuts in place and bought extra nuts. That way I can take the cover off without the possibility of breaking the seal between the light cluster/foam seal/bodywork.
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pharg55

Last edit: Post by mowog73.

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191417

The main problem with the covers was that the studs were too short to allow extra nuts to be used. Even the tail light cluster nuts wouldn't thread on.
I cut some of the excess plastic from the mount points, fit beautifully now!

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191443

The main problem with the covers was that the studs were too short to allow extra nuts to be used. Even the tail light cluster nuts wouldn't thread on.

Odd, I didn't find this problem with either of our cars.
Mark
95 MGF

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191451

Later, I found a 'How to' on the subject, 'how I perfected the fitting of rear lamp protector' seems like i'm not the only one to have the problem.

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191462

I have never bothered to fit mine properly but I pop them in place when I am filling the boot for a long trip.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Tail Lights 4 years 7 months ago #191463

I've got them fitted with no bother..wouldn't like to see inside that boot without those covers...what a unfinished mess those rear lights look without those covers...I remember when I first looked at the tf and thought somethings missing from those lights...when I was told that's how they are ...I wasn't having that...I will make some I said....luckily they are for sale at a reasonable price off the le500

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT