Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190975

• Norm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Visited my Youngest son last week in Plymouth, all the way from sunny Essex. Loaded the boot up with spare oil, and coolant (just in case) and set off crossing everything. 700 miles in total over 4 days and traffic awful on M25 and A303. However the good news was that despite many jams and newish cars broken down on the roadside, my 02 TF160 did the whole trip with no problems and with the roof up only when parked overnight. Averaged 41 mpg despite traffic and some fast stretches and used no oil or water the whole trip! Probably asked for trouble now, as my wife would say "you had to say something didn't you?"

When i wasn't in first gear it was great fun so pleased i didn't wimp out and take the daily driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, cairnsys, sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190976

You see that's the thing about the F n TF , they are great to drive . Like most things , when it ain't broke !
We have a trip planned for September to France , that is if Boris , bless him hasn't pissed them all off in Brussels! :slapme: :slapme: :slapme:
John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190977

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
John,

I must admit when i bought my TF i didn't anticipate having as much fun as i have had with it, and surprisingly my wife really likes it as well. Last year we did 5000 miles in it and this year i've managed about 2000 so far since the insurance renewal. (Actually last year i had to stop using it as i was running out of insurance miles!) Probably the fastest car i've owned, although only if you get it revving, so you do have to work at it more than other cars, but that in a perverse way adds to the fun. I hope Boris lets you go in September as french roads will be great for a TF. We lived in south-west France for 4 years and the lack of traffic and road surface quality even on minor roads was a treat.

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190978

Yes I've been a bit close mileage wise on a couple of occasions . I have just been told I will have to find another garage to keep it in as the old guy I rented one from has sadly passed away . Not a problem to keep it outside while the weather is good but inconvenient to have it on the drive . Plus I know a lot of folks on here say the soft tops are about as water proof as a colander . I don't want to get rid of it as I have, like most invested time , money and no little effort in it .
John

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190979

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Garaging is always an issue isn't it as they tend to get filled up, if not with cars then with non car related junk. Interesting what you were saying about water ingress as i have always kept mine in the garage, but may not be able to soon. Whilst even on a couple of times in horrid storms i've never had a drop of water in the car whilst driving it, that's not the same as leaving it out in all weathers. Also without aircon, it takes an age to demist when i've been somewhere and had to leave it parked out in damp weather. I suppose an all weather cover would stop leaks but not moisture. As you say as well, a car on the drive can really get in the way, particularly if you have to take a cover off everytime you want to move it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190980

Yes , there are four garages within cricket ball throwing distance that are full of........junk ! I've offered to clear them for nowt to be able to get the TF in but no one has taken me up on the offer . The search goes on ! :rant:

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190983

In decent condition a hood shouldn't leak, I fitted a new one 5 years ago and the car lives outside all year.

Although I have fitted A/C it currently needs regasing but I bought a heated front screen, clears in seconds.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Sp

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190985

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
never thought about a heated screen; a simple way around it!

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #190990

In decent condition a hood shouldn't leak, I fitted a new one 5 years ago and the car lives outside all year.

Although I have fitted A/C it currently needs regasing but I bought a heated front screen, clears in seconds.

Well yes I take your point about the hood not leaking but I do get leaks around the hood seals when I wash the car . New seals if I keep the car and don't get another garage and a car cover me thinks ..
John

Plymouth or bust! 4 years 9 months ago #191002

My tf hood used to leak...it was if the hood had dried out and shrunk...I bought new cantrails and it still had a weap....but after a garage revamp the tf was left outside in the rain.....now it fits like a glove with no leaks it's has if I've had a new roof
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT