Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 5 years 5 days ago #190229

has someone tried the new toyo tr1? can't find alternatives for 16" wheels : -?
https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/new-proxes-tr1
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by peter81.

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 5 years 4 days ago #190234

Are you saying you can't find any 16" tyres?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 5 years 4 days ago #190240

I mean online, except cheap chinese, of course.
There were hankoook ventus V12 evo2, but don't exist the front one (195/45 16), i'm looking for set of 4 tyres, front and rear.

Last edit: Post by peter81.

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 5 years 4 days ago #190242

I need a couple of new rear tyres and 16 inch options are few. Having ditched Toyo Proxes after they changed the compound and manufacturing location - I found them to be most unsatisfactory in 16 inch sizes. I never had a issue before when running them on my older 15 inch wheeled TF, indeed I thought they were a superb tyre.
Then the news filters through that my now preferred choice of boot, the Falken Ziex ZE914 is being phased out and replaced with the untried ZE 310 model.

Decisions, decisions, shall I opt to try the 310, or have a stab at the new Toyo's....reading the reviews, not many to be found, says that the new Toyo TR1's have a stronger sidewall and better wet handling. prices for the 16 inch 215/40 for the rear is a realistic £60 so very comparable to the Falken tyres.

I may just give the new Toyos a try, and will see if I can get a couple ordered next week.

Will report back once fitted with an evaluation, although I still will have Falken 914's on the front as they still have a years worth of tread on them.

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190569

Hey Sundance

I'm in the same situation. Need new 16' tyres for my 2002 TF135.
Also in doubt what to do....

T1R's start to become hard to get, and possibly older aged stock tyres if you get them
TR1's are not realy known yet; how would they handle on a TF??

Did you already gave them a try ??

Falken also changed over tot the new 310 Ziex version, on which I also can't find any reviews regarding handling on TF

So I was curious what you bought, and what's your experience ….

Grz. Jos

Last edit: Post by dutch_TF.

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190571

I had two fitted on the rear, so far they seem to be far better than the older pattern T1-R that they replaced.
Cornering is much tighter with less roll and handling seems to be ok. Not a proper test as I still have Falkens on the front, but I will be changing them to Toyo TR1's next year when they will be due to be replaced.
They also seem to be ok in the wet, much better than the older Toyos, but do bear in mind that they are billed as summer tyres only.

Sundance

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190574

Thanks a lot for your feedback Sundance !!

This evening I will have a (telephone) discussion with some other TF entusiasts here in The Netherlands....
let's see what I learn from this "small talk" ....

At the moment I'm tempted to give the new Toyo's a go ....
mostly by your comment, and the things I read on the Toyo site (which is of course optimistic; promoting their own product) regarding the improvement in side wall stiffness and and the new thread pattern

I will keep you informed

Grz. Jos.
Attachments:

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190607

OK, after some thinking …. decision is made !!!
I go for the new Toyo's TR1
I assume they should at least be as good as the former model, and hopefully a little better

Always a little gamble how they suit the TF's suspension....
But someone has to be the first, so … I guess that will be me ;)

I'll have them assembled next Saturday 8 June
So, I'll keep you informed how they work out

Grz. Jos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190613

One other thing I have noted about the new Toyos is that the are not directionally marked, just that the radial half of the tread needs to be on the outside. This means that on one side the diagonal half of the tread goes leads in and on the other side of the car the diagonal tread leads away (the part marked in orange on the above post picture). I was dead sure that the tyre fitters had put two right handed tyres on my car when I had them fitted on the rear, but a close check on the tyre wall shows no obvious directional rotation arrow.
I still am wondering how one side can be as effective as the other with the tread pattern reversed. Usually with a diagonal stye tread the tread arrows upwards when viewed from the rear of the car.
On my car one side does this, the other points down.
It sure does look a bit out of place if you notice it, kinda negative Zen!
Let me know if you have the same issue when yours are fitted, and if not, I will contact the tyre fitting garage and ask them to look in to it.

Sundance

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190620

Sundance

Regarding the tread direction; I didn't realy realised that before, but it seems to be normal to me, as they are only marked for outside and not direction
I had the same issue on another car in the past, with Yokohama's, which were also only marked for outside
So I expect it to be the same for these.....
Could indeed look a little strange , but I think it is just like that, and will be OK.
We need to trust that Toyo knows what they are doing ….
Will post some pics, coming weekend as soon as they are on.

Grz. Jos.

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190635

meanwhile checked out some images on the web
indeed it seems like it has to be like this…. I'm sure Toyo knows what they 're doing.
and to you it seemed like they were better in the wet then the older model.... so it has to be OK …..

Grz. Jos.
Attachments:

have you tried new Toyo Tr1 (not T1r) ? 4 years 10 months ago #190694

Got the tyres fitted last saturday; untill now I'm very satisfied !!
Drove them home in dry and wet on the motorway to 160 km/h, very stable and very calm on the road
On curvy roads also very satisfying; good road behaviour.
I will let them rub in for few more miles and then give them a harder test on the curvy roads in The Eifel.....
But untill now I'm OK with them

Regarding the tread direction I promissed some images to Sundance.
Mine are the same as you described, but it seems to be OK like this, and they behave perfect, so.... no problem to me
See pics below

I will keep you informed on the harder test drive :woohoo:

Grz. Jos.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT