Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189492

This is my first, probably of many to come, post on here. (Apologies for the split infinitive)
A fellow MGF owner has suggested that there is a rubber bung underneath the driver's seat on my 1999 car that can be pushed out and a block and tackle utilised to raise the car up to 90 degrees.
Is this correct and is it likely to do any damage?
Many thanks for any help and advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189495

This is my first, probably of many to come, post on here. (Apologies for the split infinitive)
A fellow MGF owner has suggested that there is a rubber bung underneath the driver's seat on my 1999 car that can be pushed out and a block and tackle utilised to raise the car up to 90 degrees.
Is this correct and is it likely to do any damage?
Many thanks for any help and advice.

Any "holes" that have bungs in the floor pan, usually steel and sealed in with sealant were a production aid to allow the body to sink when dipped through the metal treatment process in the paintshop, they were then sealed for life, as the floor pan is an integral part of the strength of the body removing the bungs will weaken the structure, as for raising the body with a block and tackle in the manner you suggest would damage the floor pan !
So in short no don't.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzzy-Beans

Last edit: Post by Steve.

Re:Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189502

Yep agreed, there's definitely no how you can use to lift the car like that.

Jack points are reinforced at the front and rear of the sills to match the original jack... That's why many people get rust at those points, as idiot garages use a normal jack on them and crush them... Always use the right jack, or a trolly jack under the subframe mounts or other solid point.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Re:Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189523

Hi and welcome to the forum

As above - there are prescribed jacking points and using anywhere else may cause damage, especially as the body doesn't have the additional strength of a roof.

What are you planning to do.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189544

Attachments:

Re:Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189547

Go to the how to guides on this forum and under the heading general ...you will see a more detailed account of the safe way to jack our cars.....🤓

Re:Jacking MGF 5 years 2 months ago #189548

.unless you buy one of these to jack your ride.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT