Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188408

:( After many years of easy passes my car has finally succumbed to the inevitable and failed:

Handbrake, one of the callipers isn't working
Exhaust lambda reading outside limits

Not too bad but on the way home my window refused to go up.:slapme:
I stripped the door and found the fault to be the regulator/ motor, it appears to be internally stripped.
I can move the glass by hand and found that there are stiff areas which probably caused it to wear.
Are there any recommended places to source a replacement regulator new or second hand ?
What's the best lube for the window runners ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188410

Bad luck Steve on all counts.
Hopefully the calliper can be sorted quite easily, and just wait for the guys to advise on the exhaust emissions.

The window motor is either a Rimmers purchase at £170.00 or try e bay for a decent second hand one at around £40.00. I would just use some silicone grease on the mechanism.
A nice wallet emptier just before Christmas.

Good luck
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve O

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188411

Thanks Dave,

I've opted for the eBay route, I've just got to wait for that and some dry weather so I can have a look at the hand brake.

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188415

Exhaust lambda reading outside limits

The lambda reading on the MOT test is based on the ratio of the HC against CO, so if it is out one or both the gases are outside limits.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188417

The MOT man said they think it might be an air leak ?

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188418

That would allow more oxygen in to the exhaust making the O2 sensor measure more CO than there actually is.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, Steve O

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188420

I had problems with the window winder motor/gearbox unit, I found it was stripped gears in the gearbox.
These units are generic to many other cars, apart from the electrical connector plug. I found suitable replacements were from a Holden Commodore it was either the VN to VS series or the VT to VX series, too long ago to remember (all OZ made GM stuff) and only cost me @ A$40 , I changed the wiring plugs to a generic type.
I know Holdens will be non-existant where you are, so you might need to go visit your freindly local wrecking yard, armed with the broken motor/ gearbox unit in your hot little hand to compare with whats locally available. A good place to start will be with other MG Rover stuff as well as GM stuff.....if they used it here in Oz they probably used it elsewere in the world.
One thing to note is these units are "handed" that is to say they are different on each side of the car, but in the case of the Holden they are reversed, that is to say; the driver's side unit fits the passenger's side of the MG and the Holden's passenger's side unit fits the driver's side of the MG.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188423

That would allow more oxygen in to the exhaust making the O2 sensor measure more CO than there actually is.

Emissions aren't as straight forward to repair as my other faults, I'm at the mercy of the man with the probe :pinch:
I'm hoping to find something obvious otherwise it's throwing it back to the garage and holding my breath when I get the bill:(
Maybe if I took it for an Italian tune up before the test :drive:

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188424

What emmissions reading did it fail on....do you have the readings from the test and if so what are they.

Different gas failures are caused by different faults so we need to know what it failed on. Eg high lamda reading only, can be caused by exhaust leak which sucks in air causing exhaust gas analyser to indicate a high lamda reading....high HC (hydracarbons) usually indicates an ignition fault etc.

David

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188425

All I got was "Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))"

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188428

That is only half the story, the garage should give you the rest of the info without being asked.

MOT failure 5 years 6 months ago #188434

I had a look at the off side rear calliper which was seized in the on position although not stopping the disc.
I managed to free it off but there seams to be a lot of play in the the part that rotates and because of this
the spring is struggling to return, does this mean a new calliper ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT