Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188252

I've been reading a bit about what side the gases should come out of - most I've read explain about a valve and that they have more gas coming out of the nearside - passenger side. Mine is the opposite with it coming out of the driver side. Photo coming. Is this something to be concerned about - TT Mk 7 exhaust fitted ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188253

Like this..... This is on start up after being laid up for a couple of weeks and a cold morning but it made it very clear ....

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by Dan1971.

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188254

If you have the TT Mk7's this is normal and to be expected. Can cause a few emission issue's come MOT time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan1971

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188256

OK Cheers - Would have hoped that a K map would have sorted that but not sure what came first (as it was before my ownership) the exhaust or the map ....

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188261

Hi Dan

The standard O/E MG TF has a pneumatic valve on the O/S tailpipe.

These often seize so get wedged open.

Aftermarket exhausts don't have this valve.

Some versions of the TT are known to blow harder from one side than the other, I don't know if the 7 falls into this or which side is stronger than the other.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188268

The TT Mk.7 is a lovely exhaust to behold, and sounds quite nice, albeit a tad on the high pitched side.
There is, however, three things that in my opinion let the exhaust down a bit. These are 1, The quality of the stainless steel is by no means the best, it can show some signs of corrosion. 2, The exhaust does not give any power benefits and 3, you get minimal exhaust venting on the nearside tailpipe.
I have one fitted, and I do enjoy the noise it makes, mmmm, I suppose there is a fourth negative point to consider and that is the fuel consumption increase once fitted. This is not due to the exhausts performance, but due to the uncontrollable urge to drop into third gear and put the accelerator down!

One more thing, if you have a TT mk.7 fitted, when at the MOT station having the emissions tested, block of the nearside tailpipe and probe the offside one. On low idle the exhaust will suck in air from the lefthand pipe and circulate it through the exhaust and emitting it through right hand pipe, sending the o2 readings sky high!

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188271

I'm not one to tamper when it comes to MOT time. The option for me would be to get a second hand backbox and fit for the MOT. In fact - I'd probably then keep it on and sell the TT to be fair ... Not due until April though so plenty time to disturb the neighbours early in the morning on dry days through the winter ...

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188277

I'm not one to tamper when it comes to MOT time. The option for me would be to get a second hand backbox and fit for the MOT. In fact - I'd probably then keep it on and sell the TT to be fair ... Not due until April though so plenty time to disturb the neighbours early in the morning on dry days through the winter ...

Most good MOT testers would work out the issue with the TT MK.7 and just do what they need to. The tester I used to use had a special made exhaust bung for that very purpose....The TT is not the only aftermarket exhaust that sucks in on one side.
When I started using a new MOT test station, I just explained to him the crack with the exhaust so he knew in advance and he just nodded with a knowing smile and said no probs....My TF has passed every year with emissions since I had my TT fitted.

Sundance

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188282

Most importantly ...watch yer don't burn your self...those pipes get hot!.....below is the image of burns to a known t bar member...
What was his name again????
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Re:Exhaust gases 5 years 6 months ago #188285

Ahemm!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT