Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187856

Having replaced the front subframe mounts, I want to do all i can to prevent them rotting, and considered filling the 'void' as the main issue appears to be water etc. sitting inside the mount. What have others done / is there a recognised way to do this? I'd rather not just fill them with foam or gunge, and would like to find a 'cap' that will fit.

I've considered going round the supermarket with a mount, seeing if i can find an aerosol lid that will fit snugly inside the mount, but i'd probably get arrested :)

Any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187859

Bottomguard underseal spray or similar.

Sundance

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187861

Fill them with wax?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187869

Hi. When I bought mine nearly four years ago I noticed that the previous owner had placed a strip of aluminium foil tape over the subframe holes to prevent water and other wet crap getting into them. So far so good, it seems to be working well.

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187870

They came out of the factory with either a plastic cap or black tape over the access holes for the wishbone bolts.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187895

I changed mine for the stainless ones, not much help unless you want to spend more money. :coat:

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187896

I also fitted the front stainless ones, so they will never rot again....back ones were not too bad so they were cleaned up and repainted and put back on the car.

Sundance

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 7 months ago #187903

I've found some plastic caps that appear to be a neat fit inside the front mounts, once I've had a chance to fit them I'll post some photos and more details. Interesting about the rear mounts, mine were perfect despite being 14 years old, apart from one bolt shearing, which fortunately I managed to drill out without damaging the thread. They'll all get a coat of traditional underseal on any exposed threads which I can clean off if I need to dismantle them again.

Subframe mounts - stopping the rot 5 years 6 months ago #187993

So my solution is to use a 40mm push fit drainage end cap fixed into the subframe mount with Geocel mastic. The top photo shows a cap with an old mount for illustrative purposes.
This picture is before I coated the mounts with Dinitrol.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Bob

Last edit: Post by Gavin207.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT