Sign In   Register

Topic

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185691

• jelly's Avatar Topic Author
  • jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi last time I used MG everything was fine parked it on drive didn't try to lock it. but did remove headlight bulbs to see what they are as thinking of upgrading, jumped in car today tried to start hazard warning lights on engine immobiliser light on horn going no start don't want a dead car so simple fix?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185694

press the lock button on the fob 5 times, then the unlock button until it stops

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185695

Which alarm do you have (what shape fob)?

Did the car battery go flat or get removed?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185697

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi round fob with lock unlock and boot symbol no battery didn't go flat, tried above but only response seems to be on locking relay clicking in ?

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185698

Are the bulbs still out? I cant see why that should be an issue, but worth putting back in to check if they are.

Other thought: check the pin switch on the bonnet, if that has developed a fault, when you were taking bulbs out, that would account fir what you are seeing.

I cant check wiring diag as Im using my phone right now, but if someone can check if there are any common earths between the lights and the alarm, that might be a place to look too

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185699

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi no I have put bulbs back in and a new battery in fob car battery also new, no it seems to need a code putting in, tried the five presses ?

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185700

hmmm... ok...

well usual culprits are

loss of fob sync, or non working fob.
low battery
faulty door lock / boot bonnet switch
failure of the A5S alarm subsytem
Other wiring faults

If you have a look at the owners manual https://www.the-t-bar.com/community/downloads/download/10-owners-manuals/26-mgf-owners-manual

it describes the process for fob resync, and also using your key to shut down the immobiliser via the drivers door - if you know what your EKA is.

If these dont work, then diagnosis becomes a bit more complex.

There is more info in the workshop manual
https://www.the-t-bar.com/community/downloads/download/8-technical-manuals/18-mgtf-workshop-manual

and the wiring diagrams sheets https://www.the-t-bar.com/community/downloads/download/5-electrical-diagrams/29-mg-tf-electrical-diagrams

Do you have a multi-meter and dow you feel confident about using it to check wiring and voltages?

If so, we may be able to narrow down cause.

If not, where abouts are yiu? A local forum member may be able to help...

And finally, if you havent done so already, pull the connectors off you horn(s), your neighbours will thank you for this while experimenting!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185708

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a minute and then reconnecting? On my 02 TF this will resynch the fob.

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185713

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi thanks for help have tried disconnecting battery made no difference, haven't got my EKA code or can't find it not sure if I should buy one before I go any further? Yes have a multi meter and can use it to a degree but car was fine before might have to leave it until the weekend.

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185714

its worth knowing your EKA anyway, because if you are in middle of nowhere and battery goes in fob you can open car with key, but without EKA you won't be able to start it.

I've not used them myself, but http://www.mgrovercodes.com/mg/f/eka-code/ can apparently tell you you EKA from your VIN.

Just as a thought.... Have a quick check of the fuses.... Both inside the car and under the bonnet.... I have a vague memory of something like the symptoms you describe in a thread years back, and that had something to do with a fuse issue.

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185715

Relevant fuses are shown in diagram
Attachments:

Alarm immobiliser ? 5 years 11 months ago #185734

• jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks a lot for your help it was the fuse 30 amp never even thought of a fuse going :( thought it would be more serious, now can get on with the proper jobs before remap B)

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT