Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184784

MGF & TF Programmed wash wipe function upgrade

For use on all MGFs 1995 – 2002 and on MG TFs 2002 – 2003 up to VIN 620548

This kit works on all standard MGFs and early MG TF with the Lucas alarm system (Lucas on the reverse side of the handset).

For whatever reason MG did not build these cars with the programmed wash wipe function (pull the wash stalk switch and the wipers will automatically switch on for a few sweeps). Some handbooks for the MGF and TF actually describe how to operate the wash wipe function, but no car ever had this feature!

The wash wipe function was simply deactivated by not installing a small amount of wiring to the red MFU (Multi-Function Unit). On other Rover products such as the 200 and 400, the MFU provided the wash wipe function. This kit will provide all the necessary parts to upgrade the MGF & TF with the programmed wash wipe function along with detailed fitting instructions.

The programmed wash wipe function is very refined in operation, with the following features:

In order for the wash wipe sequence to work, the wash switch must be engaged for more than 0.6 seconds. After 0.6 seconds the wipers will start to sweep, once the wash switch has been released power to the wiper motor will be maintained for a further 2.6 seconds giving a further two to three sweeps.

This will give the added feature that with several short bursts of the wash switch, the windscreen can be covered with water to the desired amount and then wipers operated manually – ideal when the roof is down for complete control.

In winter this feature also means that you can “try” your washers first (in case they are frozen) before the wipers engage and smear a dirty windscreen.

The kit is very easy to install with only basic tools required and takes about 20 to 30 minutes to complete.

This kit uses the correct original wiring connector contact pin and wiring color coding as if it was a factory fitted. The IDC (insulation displacement connector) is an original type as used with MG Rover factory accessories, this part is no longer available from MG Rover (part number YPC116330).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184785

I thought your mgtf was a pektron graham

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184786

no, it is a Lucas

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184787

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184788

I knew that that is why I am going to buy it, can not see why these were not fitted as standard, rover being stingy I suppose. still, nothing that can not be rectified by your's truly.:broon:

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184789

Bit late to write a letter of complaint to rover now innit

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184790

Got more mods on the go than caractacus potts has graham
Attachments:

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184791

they won't reply to me then

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184792

is right gotta keep having ago and keep it up to date.

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184794

What exactly are you getting for your money?

Looks like some wire, a skotch lock, and some cable ties!

Maybe more not shown in picture?

If you pull the stalk to you, the washer works.

If you push the stalk down, the wipers work

If you pull it towards you and down at the same time (diagonal), wash and wipe work together.

On MG you are in control of how much water to spray, and how many times the wipers sweep.

Much better solution than modern cars that alway wipe once too many times, smearing the glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzzy-Beans

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184795

Yes good point...what do you get for your money?note by the looks of it apart from a cheap wiring bypass and the 3 tie wraps and a free scotchlok..oh and a foot of wire.

Attachments:

wiper up grade 6 years 1 month ago #184796

If you were to go ahead with this mod graham...a bit of digging around and you will find the knoledge without buying that kit...most who have wanted to mod the wipers have fitted rover 800 wiper stalks...but personally I'm happy with leaving mine has they are

I had a ldv pick up truck and when you wanted to wash the screen...you operated the wash and it then wiped the screen about 6 times....on the second time the wipers crossed the screen the windscreen was perfect...but because it had a function to wipe 6 times..it meant the screen became streaked..poor visibuility. ..I hated it..
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: graham1

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.103 seconds