Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184216

• John and Sue's Avatar Topic Author
  • John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
After the past eight years in a training delivery role within the power industry, following 30 odd years working in power stations as an ops engineer/ manager, I was resigned to doing this until retirement. However, an opportunity has arisen back within the walls of a power station. A big 'un. And a senior position.

The quandary is this: I currently have a company Volvo, which will obviously go if I get the new position, which despite having many perks, does not include a car. The new position is around 70 miles up the M1 and I intend to commute rather than uproot.

So, my friends: the choice for a potentially high mileage commute car: having had some quality cars in the past: practically and financially this won't be an option.

Do I go for a late model euro: Ford, Peugeot, or a new warranted Pacific rim snotter: Kia... or Easten Euro like a Daewoo?

Input appreciated.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184218

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184219

I have got a 67 plate Honda CRV 1.6 EX twin turbo diesel automatic, its a real mile muncher, comfortable, all the toys, so easy to drive and intelligent 4x4 (only 4 wheel drive when required), the model has been around in current form for last 5 years so some reasonably priced examples can be sought with current accessories, also build quality is second to none, this is my second Honda the last doing 140K (2008 Civic 1.8 Petrol) and still going strong, failed its last MOT on a drop link bush and that was its first fail ever, hence Honda have my vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Sue

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184224

What sort of budget do you have?

Any preference on fuel type?

Any preference on body style?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184228

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
After driving a Kia and a Hyundai before I can highly recommend Korean cars - both had no issues at all, I did invest in service parts only, not a single € on top.
No soul and limited fun but 150% reliable. Perfect as commuter cars.

Daughter just purchased her first new car - Dacia Duster.
Surprisingly comfortable and spacey. But one can see why they are cheap - hard plastic, pure metal where others have a plastic cover etc.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184229

Anything Jap or Korean. Pretty much bomb proof

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184230

I can't tell you what to buy but I can tell you what not to buy with a 70 mile commute & that's an auto box Hyundai Getz (The Snotter). What it made up for with its Down the Back of the Sofa Money price it looses with the swinging fuel economy; 23.8 mpg on the last run. I can comfortably do twice that in the tf & that's monitoring both cars with an OBD dongle through the torque app.
Other than the fuel it's not a bad car, it's just that I realy don't want to be so familiar with the girl on the till at the garage.
You could always get an Mgtf you might even grow to like it (or not).

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184231

If your going to do regular motorway miles then you need a car with some comfort...power..legroom with all the toys....at the moment my motorway cruiser is a 2.2 diesel..euro 6....bi turbo....mazda 6...fast..economical road tax on mine being a 2014 car is £20...all the gadgets.all round parking sensors with visual display..cruise control with radar which backs off when you get closer to other cars..stops when pedestrians try to commit harry carrie....if I were to get rid my next choice might be a jag..mazda 6 images below
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184233

Firstly congratulations on your new job. Secondly in my opinion the commute will be too long (time and distance) However if your determined to do it why not think hybrid. You should be able to plug it in for free at a power station.

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184234

The mazda 6 was tested on fifth gear programme and with 4 adults sitting comfortable it delivered 20.3mpg at a constant speed of 135mph.
Attachments:

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184237

Sadly another consideration is "company carpark snobbery", almost worth taking Sues car until you get a feel for what would be acceptable.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Input appreciated 6 years 2 months ago #184241

Who cares what other people drive or think is acceptable. Get a nice Kia or Hyundai. All the toys, comfort and no worries at a decent price.

John

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT