Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179732

Unfortunately the car's done its last outing for a while having broken a gear cable while in the south of France. Not sure how it happened as I only noticed it when getting in to head to the shops and the gear stick was flopping in the grate, obviously not connected to anything. Apparently these parts are pretty difficult to source out here and as my French isn't up to all the chat that's required I'm arranging to have it taken back to the UK on the back of a lorry :(

Hoping it's a relatively quick fix back home but we'll have to wait and see. So road trip's over for this year!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179734

Bummer!:(

Bit of a pig of a job too, unfortunately
David
:shrug:

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179736

I gather, judging from the reaction of the chap at the garage in the UK!!

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179739

If the outer is still in good condition it is feasible to thread a new inner cable through. Otherwise to do it properly requires the rear subframe dropped and the centre console out.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179743

Just a quick thought - it's not just the rose joint popped apart?

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179745

I'm going to be completely honest here and say I haven't got a clue! I'm trusting the mechanic's got it right but I'm ashamed to say I wouldn't even know what I'm looking at if I were to have a look myself (note to self - go on a mechanics course asap)

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179747

MG Owners Club do new connectors designed to fit at the gearbox end of a failed cable provided there is enough left to attach to.

Gear Change Repair Kit F/TF G875 - ULS000011K
Price: £39.95 Including VAT at 20%

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179748

Have a read of this... https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgate-s-guides/88454-gear-cables-bell-crank-fittings-how-to-replace?limitstart=0] .

The cables come to a bracket,(the bell crank) where the cables end in two rose joints. This bracket translates the cable movement into pushing and pulling of the gearbox selectors. The bracket is on the bottom of the gearbox bell housing. Looking from the back it is left of centre, in front of the exhaust backbox.

The rose joints can wear and the ball jumps out of the socket giving a floppy gear lever. It's possible to pop the ball back in for a temporary repair... You may need to cable tie the joint together.(or similar method)
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Heading home on a lorry 6 years 8 months ago #179866

For future reference - Russell (MG Rover solutions IIRC) has been know to travel into Europe to do repairs, may be a cheaper option.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT