Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179084

Coming home today after a short 25 mile drive the battery light came on the dash...got home and checked the drive belt...belt and tension ok....so then checked alternator connections all clean and ok...multimeter on battery suggests the alternator is duff...I could go out and buy a new alternator tomorrow or I've seen on ebay new regulators for sale...don't mind trying one...is this all there is to go wrong with the alternators charging side of things?..I should imagine there easy to fit...and has anyone else on here had a go at repairing one?
MGF MG F Alternator Regulator for YLE102430 Brand New mgmanialtd.com
Buy It Now

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179086

Check the big fuse on the firewall between the engine bay and the boot before you buy a new alternator.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179087

Cheers David I wasn't aware of that fuse..I just took out the 80 amp fuse..tested it and replaced it...still no charge.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179088

Could be simply stuck brushes in the alternator. Either way the alternator is going to have to be removed. Replacement of the regulator is easy enough and this is probably favourite.
Replacement of the rectifier diodes looks interesting as they seem to be pressed in, is the other lead soldered or welded?? I've got a sick alternator that's only just management 12.5 volts

Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179090

Going to take mine off tomorrow and weigh up the options...price a new alternator or repair mine..if I can't get the repair parts local..then the ebay ad for the mgf Centre means I'll have to go to Wolverhampton to fetch the regulator..with fuel costs and time it might be quicker to buy a complete alternator..I want the tf on the road asap has I've got plans to get out and about in it due to me just taking the week off..

Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179093

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Not had much dealing with modern alternators, but in past experience it's cause and effect: e.g. if the rectifier pack fails it's usually due to an upstream control failure that's overloaded it. My recommendation, for what it's worth, would be to change the whole unit.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re:Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179107

I bought a new one from euro parts, it's a pattern item but I have not had any problems, see if you can get a discount code and order online, rectifier pack can be replaced but loads of hassle for little savings and at least the new one will have new bearings and brushes.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Re:Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179117

Yes went for a brand new alternator this morning.

Don't you just love fitting shiny bits..heres a picture of the alternator fitted

And here's a picture of the multimeter connected to the battery.

And another picture with the engine running.

All that's left now is to clean and drive it.

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Re:Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179119

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Nice one. Properly sorted. :woohoo:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re:Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179133

Glad the subject of alternator came up
I recently replaced the alternator on my trusty Pug206sw, yes I know it's a
Diesel and not a MG but it had done 225000 miles! Again diode pack / rectifier but the interesting point was that there is a one way bearing in the pulley! This allows the alternator to be driven normally but when the throttle is backed off the alternator slows now at its own rate.

OK
What benefit is there and can it be fitted to a MG
Any one got any clues?

Re:Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179134

Well done blue streak, I had the same issue at Christmas, it was just not worth the hassle, so again, a new unit fitted and of course the guarantee for a year.

Cheers

Re:Mgtf alternator 6 years 9 months ago #179164

Yes I love fixing things but I just kept picturing her indoors nodding her head when I told her the battery lights still on the dash..don't know much about those alternators with clutches..was the alternator expensive for the pug?....my mazda has a system that disengages the alternator and uses some sought of power banks charged has you power on or off...not completely sure how that all works or the true benefit. .but I reckon it's a fuel saver idea

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.030 seconds