Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Track rod end - reverse thread? 6 years 10 months ago #178893

So the MGF failed its MOT on a track rod end and rear number plate bulb. Great I thought, nice and easy no problems. So I bought the track rod end and took off the wheel. It's worth mentioning at this point that it's the NSF. I've tried cleaning the thread, release spray and even heating it with a blowtorch but the thing WILL NOT budge. I'm starting to damage the nut now and I thought I'd seek help from those in the know before proceeding. I've seen somewhere that one of the threads is reversed but haven't tried this yet. Is this my problem? Am I trying to undo it the wrong way? I'm going clockwise (facing the track rod).

Thanks for your help :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Track rod end - reverse thread? 6 years 10 months ago #178905

I had the same problem, I ended up cutting the nut off.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Track rod end - reverse thread? 6 years 10 months ago #178909

Hi Nick84. When i change my track rod ends on my car i always use my grinder on the track rod end to create a gap between it and the nut ( without damaging the nut ). I also clean the thread with a wire brush attachment. Works every time. Just be careful and not go to deep. You are turning in the right direction.

Track rod end - reverse thread? 6 years 10 months ago #178923

Secret is lots of heat.

Probably not get it with a normal plumbing blowtorch especially if outside in a breeze.

I used MAP gas blowtorch, which is a lot hotter than butane.

Really needed to get them hot, almost glowing, then came apart quite easy.

Also use plenty of penetrating oil before heating.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT