Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178775

Hi , Help please.
Battery charging light stays on on dashboard.
No loss in power from battery or any trouble starting. is it a quick fix or garage job ?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178776

:welcome2:

Probably the alternator or belt. See warning below!
You need to check the voltage at the battery with and without the engine running.

First easy check is to check the big alternator fuse. Positioned centrally on the firewall between engine and the boot.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: markc1916

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: more info

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178777

Great thats very helpful

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178779

Check that the alternator belt is still in place. Be very careful of running the engine before you ensure the belt is turning.
The belt can disintegrate and be pulled into the cam belt causing severe damage!
David
:shrug:

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178783

Check the battery voltage is over 12 volts and if the alternator still does charge the battery to a decent level, there is a zener diode arrangement on the dashboard PCB behind the speedo. If this diode has failed it could also turn on the charge fail light.
But chances are its a faulty battery, alternator, belt or a broken or corroded wire connection.

Sundance

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178816

Same happened to mine, it was the regulator that is screwed to the back of the alternator, easy job and about £15 from eBay.

Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178817

Thanks Rickster, ive checked the voltage on the battery and also when engine running everything is ok i had to replace the 80 amp fuse as that was blown
Just the light stays on which is always a worry

Last edit: Post by markc1916.

Re:Battery charging light stays on after engine started. 6 years 10 months ago #178820

I had this problem also but it was just the push connection on the top of the alternator feeding the warning light that has popped off. Re- fitting fixed the problem.

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT